Wednesday, 31 August 2011

MY VINTAGE FINDS FOR LFW

Hi everyone!

I'm so sorry I've not been blogging as much as I usually do - I normally blog daily, but my boyfriend and I decided to stay an extra night in Glasgow AND he received a phone call whilst we were there from his work telling him that he no longer had to go offshore on Monday so we have until Friday together until he's sent away.

It usually takes me 30 minutes to an hour to write a blog post, so I've been resisting blogging whilst my boyfriend has been here. Last night we spent ages photographing my outfits for London Fashion Week with my Nikon so I could show you all what I've managed to find.

Some photographs I took of my entire entourage of Fashion Week garments



So, for those of you who don't know, my University has told me that it is compulsory that we attend London Fashion Week as we have to take photographs of the Street Style surrounding the LFW venues whilst attempting to "blag" our way in to some shows.
 I suddenly began to panic as I had nothing to wear so I took it as a personal challenge to attempt to find some vintage pieces I could wear in London. I have collected pieces from The Closet Shop in Aberdeen, and the rest are from London or Glasgow.

I'm sure that many other Fashion bloggers can relate to me in regards to my situation. I read all of your feedback when I initially announced my anxiety surrounding the fact that I felt I had nothing suitable to wear for Fashion Week and I agree that the atmosphere outside of the shows/venues will be rather intense. Being a woman and a Fashion student feels like a lethal cocktail at times. Women always want to look their best and Fashion students want to make sure they are wearing the best. Sadly, women and Fashion students always seem to be competitive with one another by nature and there is nothing wrong with that when its in good jeste, but my gut instinct tells me there will be some degree of competitiveness when it comes to who is wearing what. This is why I want to make sure I've tried my very best to look super fierce for Fashion Week! I see it as one less thing to worry about whilst I'm there - to me, there is nothing more exilerating  than wearing clothes you feel beautiful in.

Last weekend I went to Glasgow with my boyfriend to finish off my vintage LFW hunt. My boyfriend and I stayed with his aunty and grandpa for two nights and the vintage raid was a major success. 

Before I get into the outfits, here's a few photographs I took in Glasgow.

We went to a coffee shop called "3 Steps To Heaven" - you pick two flavours of ice cream (I picked apple pie and DIME bar flavour) two toppings (honeycomb and brownie) and a sauce (warm chocolate sauce) and they scoop the ice cream and toppings onto an ice cold slab and mash it all together. Amazing doesn't even come close.

One of my favourite vintage shops - Mr Bens.

We went to George Square where "World War Z" was being filmed. No Brad or Angelina, but we did watch some extra's being filmed screaming and running away from the zombies...

Philadelphia cabs scattered in George Square

They've changed the street signs too - it was totally bizarre 

James and I with our gladrags on 

The Vivienne Westwood Store in Princes Square. I died and went to heaven

Me giddy with my Westwood glory

Looking smug with my new goods! I picked up some Vivienne Westwood shoes. Keep reading for images.

And on our last night we went to a tapas restaurant and ate lots of scallops and squid. It was so yummy! 

In Glasgow, my boyfriend and I managed to visit Circa Vintage, Starry Starry Night, Watermelon, Tatty Bon, The City, The Glasgow Vintage, Retro, Vintage Guru and Mr Bens.

Vintage Guru and Mr Bens were the only two that I found particularly impressive. In Vintage Guru, I tried on some BIBA pieces and a Thierry Mugler dress. Sadly, neither fit me so I visited Mr Bens last in hopes that I'd find something special. I entered the shop feeling sceptical as my brother had taken me to Mr Bens three years ago and I was less than impressed with the garments. Most of the clothing was not well looked after and therefore looked tatty and dishevelled. Disappointing as Mr Bens certainly did not lack in quantity - the shop is at the brink of overflowing with vintage, but the quality did not match the asking prices.

A look inside Mr Bens

Mr Bens used to be terribly expensive (only last year a retro mens Adidas jacket that was covered in mud and had a broken zip was £65) but recently the prices of the clothing have dramatically dropped. I found some AMAZING pieces that I just HAD to buy. The only negative however was that the gondolas were quite cramped  so it was difficult to maneuver through the rails - especially when it was busy, so it took me two days of sifting through Mr Bens head to toe to finally purchase a vintage Versace dress, a MissSoni dress, a Zandra Rhodes coat and a Jacques Vert skirt. 

The prices seemed simply ludicrous for the pieces I collected.

Versace dress - £10
MissSoni dress - £15
Chained leather belt (to be worn with MissSoni dress) - £5
Zandra Rhodes coat - £25
Jacques Vert skirt - £10 

All pieces are of impeccable quality with no visible wear/tear. Although the Versace dress smells like it has never been cleaned and been locked in a cupboard for a very, VERY long time (this is describing the pungent smell of the dress very politely by the way). I almost couldn't believe my luck. 






Prior to shopping in Glasgow to tie up my vintage hunt, I also purchased some amazing pieces from The Closet - another amazing vintage shop located in my home town of Aberdeen.

A real hidden gem - I only discovered this shop recently through a friend and not only was I stunned by the gorgeous stock that they carried, but the quality of the garments. 

Some sneak peeks of my finds from The Closet








I love shopping in The Closet as the manager Elane is so passionate about vintage and has really helped me find some gorgeous pieces to sport at LFW. I feel really looked after whilst shopping there and I'm so grateful that I had someone like Elane to oversee my purchases and recommend different garments. Had I not spoken to her and asked for her assistance with my Fashion Week dilemma, the garments I'd have chosen would have been very different. I've never met someone who could understand my personal style and shape so well - she picked out such beautiful outfits me and I'd have taken all of her suggestions had I enough money! 

So, without further ado, here are my chosen vintage outfits for LFW (8 in total - just in case!)

Sheer 'Gala Mondi' body - The Closet
Vintage Jaeger printed shorts - The Closet
Jacques Vert peep toe heels - The Closet
Vivienne Westwood bag - Triads.com
Vivienne Westwood necklace - Westwood online store



Sheer body - as before
Jacques Vert pleated skirt - Mr Bens
Jacques Vert peep toe heels - as before
Snakeskin and leather handbag - The Closet
Necklace - as before
Bracelet - Pandora
Oversized ring - Unknown



Ethnic print MissSoni dress - Mr Bens
Leather belt - Mr Bens
Necklace - as before
Bag - as before
Brown BHS heels - The Closet



1960's belted gingham dress - The Closet
Bag - as before
Shoes - as before



Vintage Versace dress - Mr Bens
180 denier tights - Topshop
Bag - as before
Shoes - as before



Zandra Rhodes coat - Mr Bens
Black matte leggings - American Apparel 
Vivienne Westwood Mellisa caramel jelly boots - Vivienne Westwood Store Glasgow (Princes Square)
Bag - as before
Necklace - as before



Velour leopard printed Philip Treacy beret (A/W 11) - Gift from internship
Cowl neck diamond print jumpsuit - St Cyr Vintage (Camden Market)
Skinny leather belt - Topshop Oxford St
Shoes - as before
Bag - as before


Jaeger mohair oversized multicolour cardigan - The Closet
Emerald green jumpsuit with lace finish - St Cyr Vintage (Camden Market)
Black leather boots - ROKIT (Covent Garden)
Bag - as before
Necklace - as before


Please let me know what outfits you like the best! I'm really interested to hear what you all have to say.

xoxo

34 comments:

  1. I would wear outfits 1, 4 and the black jumpsuit. The black seems the most 'fashiony' to me.Part of me is dying to go to LFW, esp as it's not that far from me but another part of me is like 'Argh' - what would I wear? Will they judge me?!'

    Lucky you with the Westwood bag!! I went to the Mulberry outlet in Bath (well worth a visit) and got myself anew bag so if I do go, all outfits will be based around that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a total style maven!!!

    I adore all the outfits, you definitely didn't put a foot wrong! <3<3

    If I reallyyyyyyyy had to choose a favourite, it would have to be the all black ensemble with that cute Philip Treacy Leopard Beret.


    xoxo,
    Addie
    The Cat Hag
    Join My Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  3. AUGH! Love this post and so glad you told me to stop by, I understand blogging takes a while so sometimes you need a break!

    Ok, my favorites are #2 sheer body/skirt, love the color, #7, adore the leopard beret and the jumpsuit and #8 the sweater colors are gorgeous! Love your vintage style. All of them are great. Color is the way to stand out and love the vintage style. You will be awesome and I'm sure people will take pictures of you.

    Excited to see what pictures you take!
    xoxo
    Jen
    www.redsolesandredwine.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lady

    This is such a cute post.. I so forgot that you were in London.. I wanted someone to cover an event that we were invited to with one of the shoe magazines that I write for at "The Box Boutique".

    Anyway back to this post... I am so Jealous that you were able to attend such an awesome event as requested by your university.. that is so cool & your pictures are DOPE.. shopping & taking pictures is your thing as well as fashion.. Love the post.. May need to feature you on Fendi Bag soon..

    **Oh & by the way.. you KILLED every outfit on this post.. I cannot find my favorite b/c they are all DOPE.. Love'em!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! You are so gorgeous. I can't get over how beautiful that gingham dress is! It's like a dream. I'm loving all of your outfit choices! I think you'll look great during Fashion Week! :)

    Best,
    Danielle
    http://loveandlookpretty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ashleigh!

    I love these clothes!! I personally like the black leotard as a shirt. I think it's soo cute and it's an old enough style to call vintage but it's a new enough style that I don't think many people would show up wearing the same/similar thing... if that makes sense!

    Out of the two skirts you styled it with I think I like the hot pink one more. It's more grandeur and makes a bigger statement. The printed skirt works just as well, but to me it seems a tiny bit more casual than the pink skirt version.

    Hope that helps!

    Julia
    Cup of Tea
    http://cupoftea-style.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I love all of your looks! Have fun in LFW!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi gorgeous Ashleigh!!!! :-)
    Thank you so much for visiting & commenting on my blog....
    I wish I could go to London fashion week- how fun!!!!
    I LOVE your picks for outfits!!!!
    The vintage Missoni is fabulous; definitely one of my favorites!!!!
    The red Versace is another favorite!!!
    The teal Zandra Rhodes is such a gorgeous color!!!!
    I can't wait to see you in photos of all these amazing separates!!!
    I love Vivienne Westwood too; I saw you shopped there as well...
    This is a fantastic blog post- you have fabulous fashion sense & great style!!!!!
    Shannon xoxo :-)
    http://fashiondiarylooks4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh Ashleigh, I cannot quite put into words how jealous I am that LFW is 'compulsory' in your diary haha! I'm expecting TONS of pictures and if you find a way in for the commoners, let me know lol.

    I love the Philip Treacy beret with the black jumpsuit, such modern chic. The Jaeger mohair cardigan is also doing it for me, it looks soo cosy but perfectly eighties!

    I hope you have an amazing time, I may pop along to see if I can Designer/ celebrity spot from the outskirts haha.

    Fi xx
    http://thefashionsilverlining.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank-you for the comment on my blog! Please follow too! :)

    WOW! That's a lot of Vivienne Westwood!

    I like all the outfits to be honest- each are full of vibrancy and personality, with an added vinage/retro twist.

    But... I am warming more to the bright yellow check dress. What can I say? The sixties vibe to the dress wins me over. It remains to be my favourite era for fashion. You may enjoy reading about Fearne Cotton's ranges, which you will find on my blog.

    http://wonderfulljessie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. First off, like everyone else .. I'm jealous that your going to LFW lol.
    but it'll be a great experience and I hope you enjoy yourself (bring back tons of photos!!)

    I can't seem to decide between the 2nd and 7th outfit. I adore outfit#2 because of the darling leotard but the 7th one seems more personable. it seems to show your personality. So, I figure if you go with either of those two you'll be fine, but it's just my little old opinion of course ;)
    Love, Flo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The black sheer top with the pink skirt is my fave!

    http://fashionablygeeked.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. You do colourful outfits like no one else I've ever come across!! ♥ Serious Love! :)

    Those Westwoods are just as amazing...!!

    ~Miss Cathie~

    ReplyDelete
  14. The 1960's dress is so flattering on you and it just looks gorgeous! Its fits so perfectly! That dress and the Versace dress have my vote! There is a store kind of like Mr.Bens not to far from where I live but its all pretty cheap for the most part and the guy who owns it is amazing he can tell you the history of just about any piece you pick up there. I bet you are going to have loads of fun, I am very jealous!

    Chandra<3
    www.thylovelyobsession.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a cool and unique stuff! Your outfits will stand out from the crowd!:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so jealous that you're going to LFW lol.
    Anyways I love all the outfits, you've got a great way of putting outfits together.

    My favourites are the black jumpsuit and the black sheer top with the pink pleated skirt.

    http://lilmissbuttercup.blogspot.com/

    Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like the red and green brocade dress!! Cute bell sleeve detail. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. My favourite looks have to be 1,2 and 7 :) I hope you have an awesome time at LFW :)

    Charlee
    http://charmedcharlee.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. beautiful finds! yuo put everything together so well! love the teal aqua kjacket outfit!!!

    xoxo
    ashley

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG u have to have to have to keep us updated with your LFW experience!! I actually think the black outfit with the tiger striped headpiece is my favourite, u look amazingly gorgeous and elegant :)

    xx
    Erika
    http://www.erika-t.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW honey, this is a really big and cool post. I love your style, you look really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  22. nice blog!

    Please visit my blog and follow if you like! I hope you will! :)
    http://lusciousstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow lucky you! London Fashion week looks amazing and you look adorable in all your outfits! :)


    Notes She Wrote

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love all the looks but my favourites are 2 and the black one with the leopard Beret in fact I really love that one! That one is the best!x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my gosh! You look awesome in all the outfits! My favorite is the palid, twiggy-esque dress!! And I LOVE the Vivienne Westwood bag! NYC has some pretty good vintage stores, too! HEY! guess what? I got an internship with Cosmopolitan Mag!!!! I'm writing a post about it soon!

    Hope you are doing super well! Getting ready for FW here in NY, too!
    xoxx Monica
    fandml.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. You haave such great style mdear! I am soo excited for London Fashion Week, we should definitely meet up at Somerset! :)

    Personally I love the black sheer body/Jaeger skirt combo, the black jumpsuit & stunning Philip Treacey hat & although Im not personally a "pink person" the Jacques Vert pleated skirt looks gorgeous on you!

    I will definitely be snapping some of these gorgeous looks in my LFW Style photos. :)

    And I realllyy really want to go to Mr Bens, it looks a lot like Armstrongs in Edinburger, which is the best Aladdin's cave in the world!


    http://lapetiteplumes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Ashleigh

    What a fantastic post - I wanted it to carry on and on as I was reading...

    Love the looks you have created here
    I like the sheer body with the Jaeger shorts and with the pink skirt - both looks rock.

    I'm not as keen on the Missoni dress. I think I would like to see that altered so it had a tighter bodice, and either a short minidress hemline or even an asymmetrical hemline. But that's probably just me :) The pattern on it is great, and it looks expensive !!

    The gingham dress look is wonderful - I love the bold pattern and colours - What would it look like with a big black bead necklace ?

    The Versace dress look is great as well oh and the other looks as well- love the colours on the mohair cardi

    The black jumpsuit is a really elegant look esp with the beret.

    I think I like the Versace dress look the best but they are all so good.

    I think your hair looks really good back combed and slicked in the pic with your bf.

    Wonderful
    p.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you everyone for your lovely comments.

    I never usually comment back on my own blog posts but I'm totally flabbergasted by the positive response my outfit choices for LFW has generated.

    I'm especially grateful to the likes of Paul who have gone into such detail to make suggestions. Funny you should pick up on how the bodice of the MissSoni dress looks loose - I had the same thoughts when purchasing it but have found a way to pin the excess material back to look more fitted.

    I'd be more keen if the dress was shorter or the bodice was taken in by a tailor but this would be difficult as the bodice is elasticated and taking up the hemline would alter the elaborate pattern of the dress... The MissSoni dress is the only outfit that I'm slightly sceptical about wearing. I love the style though, reminds me of a witches dress!

    Please feel free to leave more feedback and any ideas.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  29. What great vintage finds!! I absolutely adore the Versace dress and the Zandra Rhodes jacket. And the diamond print jumpsuit is absolutely stunning! You will certainly rock the streets of London as if they are your own personal runway :)

    xoxo

    Rymonda
    the-misfits-guide.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awesome Vivienne Westwood bag! I have a black chancery bag :)

    http://fashionjunkdaily.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. I can definitely say that I like the sheer black leotard with the hot pink maxi skirt!!! It is definitely a nice contrast. I also loved the vintage Missoni dress with, it was very classy, and yet funky at the same time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such amazing finds!! I too love the sheer black leotard...so versatile and chic!!

    http://thelacquerfactor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love outfits 2, 4 and 7. I especially love no.7 as it is so chic and classy. I am so jealous that you're going to LFW and I'm not! :) But have a great time and post about it afterwards!

    xoxo,
    Hannah.
    http://hannahsfashionblogg.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. great pieces, you look fabulous. "If you don't wear lipstick, I can't talk to you" haha <3xo

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! I love reading what you have to say.

Think before you type - please don't spoil my blog with unkind words. Share the love!