Tuesday, 16 August 2011

"TAKEN BY THE NIGHT" VS "DEAD ON THE SIDEWALK" @ MUSA ABERDEEN

When I was invited to attend a Fashion show last Sunday night I could barely contain my excitement. 

I was excited to see what my ex work colleagues Laura Sherriffs and Jamie Johnstone had created. It had been a while since I had met up with the two and I'd heard very positive words in regards to their designs. 

What I wore to the show.
Vintage shiny jacket with shoulder pads - Vintage (ROKIT)
Emerald green cat suit - Vintage (St Cyr Vintage Camden)
Shoes - Vintage (ROKIT)
Skull necklace and bag - Vivienne Westwood

As a fashion communication student, I walked in to the venue at MUSA Aberdeen (a backdrop that I soon realised would compliment both collections beautifully) and began taking mental notes. Everything from the scenery to the jewellery on sale fed into the surreal vibe I was instantly drawn into as I walked into the converted church setting. Equipped with my dinky purple digital camera (taking Mr Nikon was not an option as the rain was so heavy outside), I wondered around the Nick Von K Jewellery stand.



The table was laden with bibles. candles, roses, glass jars and gorgeous Nick Von K pieces. My camera would not behave and focus in on close ups, so I've picked some of my favourite pieces from the website. Click here to view Nick Von K's jewellery line

Cow Skull earrings

Eagle Head earrings

Hummingbird Skull


Lioness ring

Mexi Snake head

After pining over the New Zealand based Designer jewellery my friend and I took our seats and waited eagerly for the show to start. I took in the architecture surrounding me as I sat patiently.



Laura Sherriffs collection "Taken By The Night" was first.

Her collection touched on the concept of a naive girl, who wanders unsuspectingly into a chilling, eerie, haunted forest in the dead of night. The woods around her begin to prey upon her mind, creating illusions and mind games. This makes her more and more erratic as paranoia seeps in. This results in her being lost mentally and physically, and thus, becoming "part of the forest". 














The moors and the forest became the primary inspiration behind the collection. Sherriffs combined contrasting textures with shadowy colours to create an atmospheric, edgy look with a subtle flair of dark romanticism targeted to a woman looking to have an individual meaningful approach to fashion.


My favourite piece from Sherriff's collection was the finale gown shown above. I loved the transparent flowing  fabric. The model who closed the show was incredibly tall and the overall look provided a mature phantom-esque surreality. 

Jamie Johnstone's collection "Dead On The Sidewalk" closed the show. 

With "Dead On The Sidewalk", Johnstone draws inspiration from the films of Frank Miller, in particular "300", "The Spirit" and "Sin City", with focus on the characters and stylization in each film.













The most interesting piece from the show! Leather-bound heels with metal spikes. Very McQueen.

Johnstone's collection contains a variety of styles from T-Shirts, skirts, dresses, trousers and evening gowns. Throughout both the men's and women's garments, he aims to portray themes of the power and fragility stereotypically found in "super heroines", and also those of religion. These themes are conveyed with the use of delicate fabrics such as chiffon and lace juxtaposed as leather.

ThPièce de résistance for me was the fish-tailed cocktail gown.
I thought this piece was exquisite. I love how the tight body contrasts with the heavily layered chiffon skirt. I thought the colour was gorgeous too.

LOOKS FROM THE SHOW - WITH ANY CATWALK EVENT I ALWAYS LOOK TO THE STYLING


Pale skin, smoky eyes with colour accented lips.

After the show I was fortunate enough to land an E-Interview with Laura Sherriffs.
I asked questions I felt would appeal to my followers - including some unanswered queries of my own.

1. WHAT INSPIRED "TAKEN BY THE NIGHT?"

My first "glimmer of an idea" you could say was really random actually! - I was walking home alone one evening in the dark & I became really aware of everything around me. The noises of the wind, branches swaying etc, they are really amplified in silence,and its really quite surreal & eerie! Its almost as if our brains-or maybe just mine- auto tunes onto these sounds, and totally increases our levels of unease and paranoia. That whole "fight or flight" kind of reaction.  Perhaps its just my own VERY overactive imagination, but the whole concept of the dark playing tricks on our minds really intrigued me, and my whole concept of "Taken From The Night" pretty much stemmed from there! 

I ended up creating a whole mini storyline in my head - the result of watching far far too many films for my own good!- based around the idea of an unsuspecting young girl, who ends up lost in a forest alone in the dead of night. She starts losing herself both mentally & physically, becoming increasingly more erratic, scared & lost until eventually she ends up becoming part of the forest, or "taken by the night." Very "Babes in the Woods-esque".I thought it would be interesting to try and explore how something as seemingly harmless during daylight hours- such as a forest- can become a haven for terror and the unnerving, and how fear & isolation can control our minds. It is also up to individual perception though, is the forest haunted, or is the girl just losing her mind out of fear of the unknown?

2. WAS THERE A "LOOK" FOR YOUR MODELS? (HAIR AND MAKE UP) 

There wasn't a definite "look" as such for the show, as myself & Jaime were using the same models in the show so they needed to be quite interchangeable. I also didn't want the hair or make-up to be so strong that it detracted from the garments themselves. I had a dark but soft smoky eye and pale, covered lips, just to subtly add that dark, almost gothic edge to the overall look to help compliment the dark chiffons & lace in the collection. The hair I had teased & backcombed to create a messy, tousled volume, to emphasise the lost look. I wanted it to look as though shed been running her hands through her hair in almost desperation, as well as having it snagged on branches & trees. 

3. HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO COMPLETE YOUR COLLECTION?

The 6 pieces I showed, I have been working on over the last month and a half or so, on & off. Trying to juggle creating a collection alongside working full time is hard work! But believe it or not, there is still more to come! I was absolutely gutted that I had to leave out a pair of lace applique chiffon trousers as they were not catwalk ready - I had been on a pre booked holiday the week before the show so have been literally glued to my sewing machine since I came back a week ago trying to get everything done! Plus I keep getting more and more ideas for garments, so this "capsule collection" seems to be getting larger & larger! The trousers & a couple more items will all be shown at the STAG STUDIO Pop Up Shop however.

4. WAS THE COLLECTION DONE OUT-WITH UNIVERSITY?  OR DID THEY ASK YOU TO CREATE A COLLECTION?

The collection was done completely outwith University. It was originally for the STAG STUDIO Pop Up Shop- the first event of its kind in Aberdeen, to help promote new design talent around the North East. It is going to be a great event, with many established boutiques showcasing garments alongside emerging designers like myself & Jaime, along with vintage boutiques & beauty stalls.  20th August at Korova Klub.  BE THERE.

5. WHO'S WORK DO YOU ADMIRE? CAN WE SEE ANY OF THEIR INFLUENCE IN YOUR COLLECTION?

My personal favourite designers are of course the late great Mr McQueen, who was my initial inspiration to become a fashion designer. Other designers I admire are Christopher Kane - who can do no wrong in my eyes! Ricardo Tisci is also a genius - as are the Mulleavy sisters at Rodarte! At the complete opposite end, I think Gareth Pugh & Nicola Formichetti are amazing! There are some great designers I really admire who are beginning to make their mark on the industry - Felicity Brown is a fave, and I love the experimental digital prints of Mary Katrantzou & FelderFelder are a great up coming brand also! 


6. COLLECTIVELY, HOW DO YOU THINK THE SHOW WENT? DID EVERYTHING RUN AS YOU EXPECTED OR WERE THERE ANY SURPRISES?

I personally think the show went really well! We had a slight hiccup with hair & makeup but we pulled it off in the end. I was an actual nervous wreck backstage! The venue was perfect for both collections though, the quaint but spaceish setting, the neo gothic ceiling & the dim lighting & dark creative vibe of Musa really worked to the advantage of the collections! 

7. FROM ONE FASHION STUDENT TO ANOTHER, LIVING IN ABERDEEN ISN'T GREAT FOR US CREATIVELY. DO YOU STRIVE TO FIND INSPIRATION AMONG US IN ABERDEEN, OR CAN YOU SEE YOURSELF MOVING FURTHER AFIELD UPON GRADUATING GRAYS SCHOOL OF ART? 

I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN!!! Although I think Aberdeen does have a lot of creative talent, & if you delve deep enough there are numerous inspiring places/people, but on the whole, the creative industry in Aberdeen is not well publicised or supported. I intend to move to London after I graduate, although I haven't quite decided if I intend to apply for an MA or not- time will tell I am sure! 

8. HOW IS STUDYING AT GRAYS SCHOOL OF ART? IS THE ATMOSPHERE COMPETITIVE AMONGST THE FASHION STUDENTS OR ARE YOU SUPPORTIVE OF ONE ANOTHER'S WORK?

Studying at Grays is a great experience.The fashion course itself is a lot of work but I find it incredibly rewarding & have learned so much in the past year! It is a fairly new course but it is already being noticed for student's talents, with four of the first year of graduates being nominated for Graduate of The Year at this year's Scottish Fashion Awards. 

Generally the students are great towards each other. I mean, the girls from STAG have just organised a whole event aimed at promoting new designers so I think its safe to say everyone is supportive of another! It is nothing like those false images of the industry that everyone is up themselves & doesn't care about anyone else's work. I mean there is a healthy competition, as their is in any course, but its all in good jest. 

9. DO YOU THINK INTERNING IN THE FASHION INDUSTRY IS IMPORTANT? IF YOU COULD CHOOSE ANY DESIGNER/FASHION HOUSE/MAGAZINE ETC TO INTERN FOR, WHO WOULD IT BE AND WHY?

I do think interning is really important in the industry as it gives such vital experience into the competitive world of the fashion industry, which,being a student all the way up in Aberdeen, can seem like a separate bubble! I went to London Fashion Week this past February, and it is a complete eye opener to how seriously fashion is taken down there. The whole atmosphere is so much more passionate about the industry & I discovered some great new designers, as well as invaluable contacts!

I have not yet been lucky enough to have a placement within the industry, though I am hoping in the coming months I will be able to grab a chance to intern at a design house, which can only benefit my own skills & working methods! 

10. FINALLY, WHAT'S COMING UP IN THE FUTURE? DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER SHOWS/COLLECTIONS PLANNED

Well as I have probably mentioned a thousand times - nothing like a shameless plug :P - I shall be selling my collection "Taken From The Night" at the STAG STUDIO PopUp Shop this coming Saturday, but after that I intend on applying for a boutique store on ASOS MARKETPLACE - you heard it here first! - so fingers crossed! But I shall hopefully just be continuing to promote my label alongside my fashion studies, along with attending this years Fashion Week next month. Watch this Space!

Myself and Laura at the event 


After reading Laura's interview and seeing her show I feel as though I've learned so much more about her. I feel like I've uncovered traits of her personality that I did not know existed and we actually have a lot more in common that I initially thought. 

This means one thing, we MUST meet up for a Kilau coffee date soon! (For those of you who don't know, Kilau is THE coffee joint in Aberdeen)

Thank you once again Laura and Jamie for inviting me to the show.

FOLLOWERS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THEIR COLLECTIONS!

Any queries please contact either of them...
jaimecjohnstone@hotmail.com
laura.s224@hotmail.co.uk

xoxo

**Images were taken at the event by myself and then edited for optimum results. Photography fully credited to Ashleigh Duncan, please!**




12 comments:

  1. Ashleigh thank you so much for the amazing review! Glad you enjoyed it & the photos look great!

    I LOVE the Nick Von K Hummingbird skull necklace I think I may need to make a purchase! :P

    And Kilau times are definitely in order! :P

    Laura

    xxx

    http://lapetiteplumes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I write a very long comment but it disappeared :( did You get him? :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome! I've tried not to say too much of my own opinion as I know a lot of bloggers quickly scan recent posts and tend to avoid those that are too wordy. This may sound strange considering I've written a really long blog post but I had to refrain from putting TOO much of my thoughts in.

    I've tried to balance my experience of the show with facts and photography.

    Well done again girl! Feel free to steal as many images as you like.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't get the comment! Try and send it again? xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I said that You are so lucky girl :))) this interview...You are becoming a star :* jewellery is totally hot! I would like to get all of this and take to home :D what about collection...3/4 of them are too brave for me. You know - a lot of transparent - that is not good for me. And I agree with You - those shoes are veeeery McQueen...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what an opportunity! The photo's are great, some really amazing pieces. I love your Westwood bag <3


    Charlee
    http://charmedcharlee.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I WANT your Westwood bag! Maybe if f I ask nicely?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic photos, and so nice blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really loved all the sheers in the first collection and the striking reds in the second.

    seven-percentsolution.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also love that transparent back on the flowy dress! You did good with the pictures, girl ;] looks like a one-of-a-kind fashion show.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely blog! let's follow each other <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful post, miss! I've never been to a fashion show before, but I really felt like I was at this one! Your descriptions and photos are wonderful, and the collections both look amazing! I think it's really interesting that the models were used in both collections and pulled off both looks with such ease!

    Best,
    Danielle
    http://loveandlookpretty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! I love reading what you have to say.

Think before you type - please don't spoil my blog with unkind words. Share the love!