Sunday, 26 February 2012

SOPHIE HULME - PART 3 - 'YOUTH' INTERVIEW

Hi everyone, here is my third and final Sophie Hulme instalment!

Thus far, I have blogged about my personal style whilst working in London (outfits I wore out n' about and to work), backstage Sophie Hulme A/W 12 London Fashion Week photography and now I'm excited to present to you all an exclusive interview I did with the Designer of the moment.

I worked with Sophie Hulme two weeks prior to her Presentation at London Fashion Week. I worked in her home Studio in Islington, London. Her house is fantastic and a really inspiring environment to work in. Particularly for me and my current E-Magazine project!


For my Digital Application class, in groups we have to create our own E-Magazine. My groups theme is based on youth, revolt and adolescence and we were influenced by magazines such as POP, LOVE, Nylon and Papier Mache. Looking around Sophie Hulme's home/studio, I was in awe of her collection of vintage toy robots and oversized penguin statues. When I overheard during a conversation at work that the Studio I worked in used to be a toy factory, I KNEW I had to find out more. I felt compelled to write about my experience working within the Sophie Hulme studio for our E-Magazine group, so I was fortunate enough to be granted permission to take photographs around the Studio and interview Sophie herself.


I hope you enjoy my 'youth' interview with Sophie Hulme. I tried to ask her questions that clearly link to my current project. She was an absolute pleasure to interview and provided very insightful yet rather humorous answers. She has a charm that is so magnetic, she is one of the most down to earth and humble Designers I have ever come across and I am incredibly excited for what the future holds for her.

I am very lucky to have been allowed to interview her as an intern. Thank you again for allowing me the chance to do some photography around your home AND interview you Sophie!

***

What did you want to be when you were younger? 

When I was four, I wanted to be the lady who made sandwiches for firemen because I thought firemen were great and I was a bit worried they might not have lunch... I think that carried on when I grew up a bit and thought fat firemen were rather lovely. And then for a while, I thought I wanted to be an actress but when I reached a serious age I wanted to be a painter. I still would love to be a painter, eventually. I love what I do now and its quite a nice challenge but I think later on I’d want to go back into painting stuff, but that’s what lead me into something creative. 

What’s your favourite colour?

Oh, oh crikey… I don’t know...

What’s your favourite colour at the moment?

Oh! I’m digging pink and I usually hate it but right now I think its quite cool… I like teal too.

Why do you have a collection of robots downstairs and do they belong to you? 

They do belong to me. I just find robots quite fascinating and they’re all old Japanese ones so I started collecting them and now whenever anyone sees one they buy one for me. This studio used to be a toy factory so now its got quite a nice reason for the robots but I did collect them before!

Were you interested in Fashion at a young age? 

I was interested in products and objects. I’ve always collected jewellery and gold charms but I didn’t have any background in Fashion or any particularly Fashion people around me. I’ve always loved leather goods and found all those things really interesting but I don’t think I knew much about the whole ‘overall look’ and style of things until I sort of grew up and was around it a bit more. Since I was tiny I always used to make things, all I used to do was sit with piles of boxes and make things like sweet machines and stuff. So I definitely always wanted to make things. 

Were you attracted to this house because it used to be a toy factory? 

Definitely. It was a perfect space for what I wanted anyway but when I heard that it used to be a toy factory, I was like, ‘Well that’s done. That’s a deal.’ I think they used to make old boys toys here like little boomerangs and wooden trains and stuff. 

What were you like as a teenager? 

My mum said I was grumpy… I don’t know… I loved painting I spent most of my time in the art block at school, but I don’t know… I was quite happy. I enjoyed being a teenager. It was alright…

Who inspired you as a child? 

My nan has always been quite amazing. She used to wear amazing antique gold necklaces with lots of funny things on. I remember when I was little I used to be totally fascinated by them. She always wore an armful of gold bangles… And there is something cool about the older generation because they still wear outfits. She’d wear THAT shirt with THOSE trousers, whereas now we were jeans and tshirts. Oh and she would never wear navy and black together... She was quite an inspiration I guess.

My final question is what was your favourite childhood cartoon? 

Oh it’s a tough call…(long pause) … OH! Thundercats without a doubt!

***

Sophie said she was fascinated with leather, working with products and her grandmothers charms as a child. Its fascinating to see how that fascination has been channelled into her current collections isn't it?




xoxo

 




2 comments:

Please leave comments! I love reading what you have to say.

Think before you type - please don't spoil my blog with unkind words. Share the love!