Wednesday, 3 August 2011

THE DILEMMAS OF ATTENDING LONDON FASHION WEEK

Hi everyone! 

Sorry I have not blogged in a couple of days (I usually blog every single day without fail) but my friends and I have been trying to tie loose ends in regards to London Fashion Week in September.

It has been brought to the Fashion Communication students attention that we are attending the event and will be taking photographs of the flamboyant street style surrounding us during our trip.

I am so excited as I love London! My friends and I have spent the last couple of days arranging where we are going to stay for that week and booking our transport down. It has been stressful to organise but the hardest part is yet to come...

Suddenly it hit me, what on earth will I wear? 

Of course, whilst I was living in London a few months ago, I bought A LOT of clothes, but now I am questioning "Are they Fashion Week worthy?". I have a few vintage cat suits I will take with me that I purchased in Camden. I think they are lovely and I received a lot of compliments when I wore them to work in London. My main problem is shoes, however. 

My emerald green cat suit - got it way before the jewel-toned trends started!
Sorry that my hair is white again. The pink lasted less than one hour before I bleached it out again!

Back to my old white hair... And still looking unbelievably dark from my holidays!
I might dye my hair pink again for LFW... So I look kinda interesting...

I don't have any shoes with much wow-factor. I bought a lovely pair of shoe boots from another vintage store in London and I have a pair of red Kurt Geigers, but other than that, I can't say the footwear side of my closet is fabulous. 

The way I see it is I have two choices.

  1. Buy outfits - dresses and accessories.
  2. Buy ONE pair of kick-ass designer shoes. 
I've opted for choice 1. I don't think buying a pair of amazing shoes is worth it if I don't have an equally amazing wardrobe to match. I am such an awkward shoe size too, I'd be devastated if I ordered a gorgeous pair of Westwood heels, only to discover that they don't fit.

After discussing WHO we will wear with my friend Fiona (another Fashion Communication student), we discussed the possibility of wearing vintage - so not even WE will know who we're wearing. Genius. 

I love the likes of Topshop and Urban Outfitters, but I don't want to be wearing strictly high street on the day. A mix of designer and vintage would be ideal. Wearing my designer jewellery and always being equipped with my Vivienne Westwood handbag with a thrifted outfit is my plan.

I think this trip will be the first time my Philip Treacy beret will be worn out! I'm looking for a plain black dress to wear with this as the print is rather wild.

I am going shopping on Friday to trawl the vintage shops of Aberdeen for some one-off garments that will hopefully withstand my budget. I am praying to the lord of Fashion that I'll be able to pull this off. 

IF ANYONE KNOWS OF ANY GOOD VINTAGE SHOPS IN SCOTLAND - LET ME KNOW.
EQUALLY, IF YOU KNOW OF ANY ONLINE SHOE STORES WHO SELL DISCOUNTED DESIGNER FOOTWEAR, LET ME KNOW!! JUST IN CASE.

The panic is settling in very quickly... It is so sad but the past two nights I've actually lost sleep over this. My boyfriend and I might be visiting his grandpa and aunty in Glasgow towards the end of this month so that trip may become my last resort!

Are any of you attending LFW?

xoxo

6 comments:

  1. Oh no, I can't believe you are losing sleep worrying bout fashion week.

    You are gonna be so glam and cool babe, just be yourself. You have amazing style, and I personally love it oodles!!!!

    I miss your pink hair already, please dye it back soon. :)


    xoxo,
    Addie
    The Cat Hag
    Join My Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do an amazing job with that cat suit. I love it! I know piperlime.com sells some designer shoes for a discounted price but I'm not sure if they sell outside of the states and if they would have exactly what you're looking for. Have fun with your LFW preparations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say choice no.1 too...With new shoes you'll just end up hurting your feet running around taking photos.

    Enjoy London and take lots of pics!! <3

    xx
    Renee
    http://www.sugarstoned.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am ridiculously jealous, i would give anything to go to fashion week! the cat suit is awesome though. just dress for you, i bet the atmosphere will be mega competitive but it's better to just look good and not be one of those girls who tries too hard.

    good luck, don't stress! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm jealous yous get to go!! Are you going with Mark and Theresa or just yourself??
    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's just Theresa Coleen, me Rach and Rhoda are heading down together though and bunking up in a Travel Lodge.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! I love reading what you have to say.

Think before you type - please don't spoil my blog with unkind words. Share the love!