Today I come baring some good and bad news.
The good news is, this weekend I am going to Glasgow with my boyfriend to visit his family and to do some hardcore vintage shopping.
The bad news is my boyfriend goes back offshore on Monday. He's only been home a week and already he's been asked to go away again. He'll probably be away for another three weeks so as you can imagine, I'm really sad. I guess this means we have to have an extra amazing time in Glasgow this weekend however!
Photo's of James and I in Glasgow last year
We saw Greenday live - hence the image of the Greenday confetti laden floor and my little feet
I dyed my eyebrows bleach blonde then dyed them back dark... hence the ginger-hued eyebrows.
I absolutely adore Glasgow. Before I decided that I wanted to study Fashion, I was adamant that no matter what happens, I would pursue University there. The people there are so friendly, the architecture is gorgeous and the shops are a step up from what I have in Aberdeen. Sadly, my dreams to study in Glasgow fell through as I discovered that the Heriot Watt Scottish Borders Campus University (such a mouthful, I know) was apparently THE place to be in Scotland for studying Fashion.
I still love visiting Glasgow from time to time and on this particular occasion, we are staying for only one night. We have made it our GOAL to seek only the best vintage the city has to offer. I MUST FIND SOME OUTFITS FOR LONDON FASHION WEEK!
We depart at 6.00am tomorrow, arrive at about 9.30am, shop our hearts out all day, go out for dinner, go back to James' grandpa's, rent a movie and eat some Ben & Jerry's, sleep, then go home the next day.
Here are some vintage stores I wish to explore tomorrow.
Starry Starry Night
Mr Bens
Handbags And Gladrags
RETRO
The City
Tatty Bon
Although I am unbelievably excited for shopping, I take my vintage hunting very seriously. I try and follow a very strict criteria.
- Material - does the material feel luxurious, soft and most importantly, stable? Is there any wear and tear and if so, is it noticeable? Are there any buttons falling off? Does anything need to be repaired which I can then negotiate the asking price?
- Price - am I paying lots of money simply because it is a Designer name even though the garment itself is not in good condition? Am I receiving excellent value for money if this is a genuine Designer piece? Can I find something similar elsewhere for a cheaper price?
- Fit - Will any alterations be required? If so, can I do this myself. If I can't, I usually walk away. Can any buttons be moved to alter the size? Will taking up hems effect the patterns on the garments? Is the comfortable to sit down in?
- Assistance - Are the shop assistants clingy and protective? I can't stand being in a vintage store for more than 5 minutes if they are. The shop assistants should be attentive and helpful, suggesting matching accessories and voicing their own opinion of the overall outfit - without being pushy.
- Most importantly, LOOK - does the garment reflect you? It's so easy to get wound up in the excitement when vintage shopping. I often find myself flocking to garments I would usually never take a second glance at. Will I actually wear this crazy 1960's dress in public and feel comfortable? All outfits should be tried on with a good pair of heels for comparison! A good vintage store will offer this.
I really hope that I DO purchase some gorgeous pieces while I'm in Glasgow, but I already have my reservations. You may remember the post I wrote a while ago regarding a vintage store in Aberdeen called The Closet. The shop owner and I managed to come up with some outfits I could wear to Fashion Week and I purchased some garments from the store. I already have my eyes on some pieces I could not afford at the time - I'm keeping this in mind whilst shopping in Glasgow and I shall constantly be asking myself "Are these clothes as good as what I have seen in The Closet?"
Some pieces I purchases from The Closet recently...
Sheer black body and Jaeger shorts
1960's gingham belted dress
From The Closet, I have my eye on a white sequined pencil skirt and a pair of original Paul Smith brown tailored trousers with hand stitched flower detailing - both to go with my black sheer top as pictured.
I'm also in love with these Escada heels that have been in store for a while now... They're calling me!
At the risk of sounding repititive (I know I covered all of this in my previous post about The Closet) the stock is just incredible and the prices seem insane to a keen vintage lover. I study Fashion and I know that the prices they offer for excellent conditioned vintage such as Miu Miu, Jaeger, Dolce and Gabbana, Fred Perry and Lanvin is unbelievable.
Their selection of hats are beautiful too. I aim to return to The Closet nearer London Fashion Week and accessorize some of my safer outfits with some avant garde millinery.
The owner of The Closet Elane also has an online store on ASOS - please check it out as I understand many of you may never experience the delightful Closet vintage up close. Some great pieces ready to be bought!
Lime Green 60's Lanvin shift dress
Wish me luck for a weekend of vintage shopping! I'm so excited, but I have a sinking feeling I may come home empty handed as Elane and her team at The Closet were so helpful with my LFW dilemmas. Something tells me I may not be as lucky when I go to Glasgow this weekend!
xoxo
P.S - All images from inside The Closet have been taken from Closet Shop Facebook page - Click here for Facebook page














Wow! Those shops all look absolutely amazing! Here in New Jersey we don't have ANY stores like that :( Unfortunately all of the thrift stores we have are small and there are hardly ever any fun vintage pieces.... so all of this sounds like a dream come true to me!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry your boy will have to go away again... but seeing him must be all the more exciting when you don't get to see him all the time? I'd have a tough time with it, too. I really admire you two for keeping it going though :) I hope you guys have an amazing time together! You both look so happy and cute :)
Best,
Danielle
http://loveandlookpretty.blogspot.com
Ah. It happens. The other day I walked with with a dress that was too small across the chest and a bit too short... because I really wanted to walk out with something. I'll definitely keep your rules more in mind next time.
ReplyDeleteseven-percentsolution.blogspot.com
I bet the vintage shop was heaven for you I wish I would suit clothes like that but its just not me:) How annoying when you want to dress a certain way and it doesn't look right :)
ReplyDeleteReally jealous of the vintage shop choice you have there . Hope you had a productive shopping trip.
ReplyDeleteI really love vintage shopping, looks like you have some great pointers.
ReplyDeletevery, very cool shoes, interesting city and very interesting outfits, I like last:):)
ReplyDeleteI love your blog! -Jessica
ReplyDeletehttp://thirtyandgirly.blogspot.com