Friday, 12 August 2011

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE



YES! Its the hat.

I am in love with foxes. I recently sited one outside my house (very unusual as my area is so urban) and named him Pierre. 

I love this hat, I bought it on line a couple of years ago and I think its so cute. Its made of felt so it does not crease and is water resistant. Whenever the weather is crummy, I wear this and feel better. All hats are made from scratch to order too.

I got it from this website www.kyaaa.biz

There are lots of different animal designs, here are some of my favourites.





I am fascinated by hats. I think hats are an extension of ones self, you can tell a lot about a person judging by the hat they are wearing. 

Hats are so daring to me, I wish more people wore hats. A good hat can really communicate the look you are trying to create, it can really take an outfit to a whole new level. 



Me looking very Pete Doherty at a house party nearly two years ago. I wore this bowler hat with a white lace dress to toughen it up a little. When I see these photographs I kind of miss my black hair...

I think anyone can wear and look good in a hat. I think wearing a hat takes courage but the gamble pays off when you marry a beautiful hat with the perfect outfit. 

My favourite hat of all time! How could I not refer back to this when I'm writing a blog about hats? It reminds me of a mint humbug. With this, I'd wear a very plain outfit. A black dress would do. 
I still feel unbelievably honoured to own this Philip Treacy hat. It stays neatly in its rightful box!

I was so thrilled when I worked at Philip Treacy as I was able to expand my knowledge of millinery. I applied for many Fashion internships after I finished my first year at University and I can honestly say that I wanted to work with Philip Treacy the most - even above my heroine Vivienne Westwood. I felt this way because there is so much you can learn from accessories. At University I have been fortunate enough to learn the basic crafts of a Fashion student - pattern cutting, sewing and actually bringing Fashion drawings to a finished fully functional garment, but I'd never worked closely with accessories. I've always had a love for hats so working at Philip's studio was a dream. I loved being able to see how hats are developed and it was beautiful. The hard work it takes to create a hat is astounding to say the least.

I felt that working at Philip Treacy really aided me to broaden my Fashion horizons. I was essentially taking a crash course in something I'd had no prior knowledge of at University. If I worked for a clothing designer, I knew the basics of how a garment is made. With hats, from the creative process to devising a finished piece was a mystery to me. 


One woman who I think can carry a hat like no other is Isabella Blow - she was a close friend of Philip Treacy. She had a "more is more" attitude, no design was ever too over the top for her. I think this philosophy has been applied to the hats she wore. I love her signature flamboyant style. I also love referring back to her quotes - one of my favourites "If you don't wear lipstick, I can't talk to you" headlines my page.

 I also love her response to why she wears such elaborate hats (the majority of the hats she wore were Philip Treacy designs)...

"...To keep everyone away from me. They say, Oh, can I kiss you? I say, No, thank you very much. That's why I've worn the hat. Goodbye. I don't want to be kissed by all and sundry. I want to be kissed by the people I love."

Here is Isabella Blow wearing some of my favourite Philip Treacy creations.






How could you not be in awe of these hats? I could spend hours pining over the detailing of these beautiful creations. You can imagine how beside myself I must have been working there...

Other celebrities have turned to Philip Treacy for avant garde millinery.

Britney Spears

Cheryl Cole

Beyonce

Pamela Anderson

Grace Jones and Iman

Naomi Campbell

And probably most famously...
Gaga

Maybe if I am very lucky, I'd love to work for Stephen Jones one day too, just to see how another milliner works. 

I'm excited for what the future holds, if I was fortunate enough to be rewarded with such a wonderful internship in my first year of University, I'm very excited with the prospect of working with other designers too.




17 comments:

  1. Hey Ashleigh!

    I actually totally agree 200% with you! I think hats are an underrated accessory but can totally MAKE a look! I lived in NYC for the past two years and I discovered the CUTEST hat boutique. It was called Arth Hats, they had various locations. Anyways, their stores are usually TINY but jam-packed with the MOST amazing hats! =D

    Love all your cute hat pictures - especially your animal hat =D

    xo

    http://sensiblestylista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS! I'm following you now! Looking forward to many more updates =D

    http://sensiblestylista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. ZOMG the fox hat u have is super adorable!!! I didin't thought much about hats until I read this post of urs, I thought those cute animal hats are already awesome, not until I scrolled down, all the pictures are totally fascinating, didin't really have a thought that hats could be so artistic and express so many things.

    lovely post :)
    xx
    Erika
    http://www.erika-t.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. That was really interesting and informative. I definitely spent a little while looking at your first two pictures, thinking... "It can't be the hat, that's too obvious."

    seven-percentsolution.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. that fox hat is so CUTE!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've become a huge fan of hats as well! of course, i don't think i could pull off anything fancy, but i always, always have my fedoras handy!

    [oomph.]

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loveeeeeeeeeee your style!! Following your blog now!
    I'm from IFB :)
    Keep in touch
    http://maryfashionlove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these!! soo cute! :)
    thank you so much for your lovely comment! :)

    have a lovely day! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the hats, the fox one is just so cutee! :)

    http://charmedcharlee.blogspot.com/
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. you're totally right, it does take courage to wear a hat! i've got a straw boater that I adore but it's my only one. I do have one similar to your fox hat which is a dragon one, but that's for snowboarding only! one day i will find my perfect hat. x

    http://natallino.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. for fashion Lovers Like you :
    http://fotoface-fashion.blogspot.com/
    please comment and follow!
    love the blog
    thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. These hats are so freaking cool!
    Thank you for your lovely comment, dear!

    Loves,
    Rowan

    www.redreidinghood.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I see no difference! Haha only joking. :) Fierce hats!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post, I plan on wearing hats this fall!

    Julia
    Cup of Tea
    http://cupoftea-style.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hats are so under-rated! They need to be brought back into everyday fashion!!

    Tikkitiboo + Ahka Vintage
    Enter our $200 Giveaway Here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. interesting blog your a great writer! amazing hat photos!
    follow each other?
    fashionistaface.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! I love reading what you have to say.

Think before you type - please don't spoil my blog with unkind words. Share the love!