Wednesday, 17 August 2011

BAZAAR + LOVE BALL

Last night I had the most fabulous dream...


I dreamt that I was chief accessories editor for Harpers Bazaar UK. What inspired this dream? Probably me tossing and turning in my bed last night wondering where on earth my degree might take me. 





I am a Fashion Communication student. If there is one skill I am certainly not lacking in is communication. I love being surrounded by people, exchanging stories and talking about Fashion. I've always felt that the Fashion Industry itself is an underworld. If you are not interested in Fashion, you are not welcome into the labyrinth of style. The Fashion Industry to me is like a seedy nightclub tucked neatly into a back alleyway - unless you know its there, it simply does not exist. You have to want to know Fashion, to understand Fashion. You may be born with a keen eye for style, but Fashion is something you learn. If you want to keep your finger firmly on the Fashion pulse, you must be willing to learn more. 

My point is, I'm fascinated by the Fashion Industry. I like to think I have a stylish flair when it comes to garments, I think I'm quite talented when it comes to Fashion journalism and documenting my thoughts on paper, but on the other hand, I'm quickly beginning to embrace my flaws.

I don't think I am particularly skilled at photography - all of this may change in second year as it seems I may be hiding behind a camera lens more than I initially anticipated. 

I'm not a Photoshop wizz. This may sound totally contradicting as I achieved an A grade for my Photoshop class, but I believe that may have been dumb luck. More to the point - I don't enjoy Photoshop (manipulating images, creating graphics and creating webpages). 

What I do enjoy is conversing. I thrive on other peoples energy and I love meeting new people. I've always been quite flamboyant and extrovert, so its not surprising that I would kill to be in the limelight. I adore being in the midst of it all - front of house. 
I think this is why I enjoyed working in the PR department at Philip Treacy so much. Meeting clients and ensuring their comfort was a joy for me. I'm quite up to scratch with technology, so sitting a desk emailing was enjoyable too. I think I would be in my element working in PR for a Designer. Or better still, a PA to a Designer. That would be a dream. 

I also really enjoy taking photographs of accessories. Although photography is not my strong point, I think I have a nick for accessorising garments and I appreciate the fine art of photographing still objects. I am such a magpie when it comes to jewels, I become entranced when it comes to taking shots of jewellery. I find shooting accessories so interesting. It's fun because they don't fidget or talk back. 

I seem to have great luck with people tweeting me back recently, so I was thrilled when Harpers Bazaar notified me that there's a competition coming up. You must email them regarding your favourite A/W 11 Fashion Week moment. Luckily for me, myself and the other Fashion Communication students are attending London Fashion Week! If you win, your review is featured on the BAZAAR website and you also receive a Filofax folder. I'd love to win! 

In this months BAZAAR I was in love with the photography from Natalia Vodianova's fairytale themed Love Ball. I was in awe of Natalia's custom-made Valentino gown, and of course I was instantly hooked when I saw some Philip Treacy pieces being sported!

That dress is remarkable. She reminds me of a couture Little Red Riding Hood.

That pleat finishes the look for me. I love how her flowing white hair contrasts with the bold red.

Other guests who's ensembles caught my eye...

Tatiana Santo Domingo wearing Valentino

Head piece by Philip Treacy

Anne Hathaway wearing Valentino 

Head piece by Stephen Jones

Stella Tennant wearing Chanel Haute Couture

And my favourite...

Daphne Guinness wearing Alexander McQueen. 
I love this rainbow coloured silk kimono. 

Hopefully, one day my dream might come true! I may work at Harpers Bazaar someday.

In the meantime, a girl can dream...

xoxo

16 comments:

  1. I don't think you have to worry about this! You've got flair, determination, and a vision! And I'm sure you do this already, but keep an eye out for internships there or at any other mags!

    -xx-
    http://lesbeauxetlesbelles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog on IFB! great post. love Anne's look!!
    Follow :)

    Please check out my blog and let me know what you think!
    Xo
    Angie
    http://www.fluentbeauty.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg these photos are amazing! I especially like Anne Hathaway's dress!! =D SO gorgeous

    http://sensiblestylista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey ashley! been following your blog for a while now! you have such a lovely blog and you are so down-to-earth! for that I wanted to show some love by giving you some awards! :) hehe hope you check it out! Keep it up dear!

    More details here: http://www.violetcrayola.com/2011/08/humble-recognition.html

    xx
    Lainey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh I love that photo of Daphne Guinness! And don't worry about not being strong in photography or Photoshop; in my opinion, the most important asset you can have in the fashion industry is good "people" skills, which you seem to have! It's all about networking!
    xx
    Alex
    lafillenyc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. We did an entry on this as soon as we saw it on Vogue.com! The fashion, decor, and atmosphere were all so inspiring...and to think it was all for a good cause ;)

    Great post!!

    Miranda

    http://www.thechicsheet.net/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Putting your goals and dreams out there is incredibly inspirational. I hope you do well. Twitter is such a tool to bring people who may never talk to each other closer together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful gowns! Wish i owned them all!:P

    Love your blog:) Now following!

    Keep up the great work:)

    xo

    http://stylusmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so beautiful to have a dream and you're young and talented enough to pursue it, so good luck with your career !Kisses

    http://fashionandcookies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne Hathaway looks amazing, I love her. She is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Daphne Guinness, I think she's amazing. Thanks for the nice comment on my blog. Also, thanks for leaving me the link to yours. Really like it, following!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. your analogy between fashion and a nightclub was interesting.

    i hope you realize your aspirations. :)

    http://weezngmonkeys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you ;)
    + such a cool stuff here :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Ashleigh! I'm sure you will win your competition =D I love your blog so much that I wanted to recognize you with a few awards =D

    Check out my newest post for more details! =D

    http://sensiblestylista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love your blog, it's always such a good read. x

    http://natallino.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! I love reading what you have to say.

Think before you type - please don't spoil my blog with unkind words. Share the love!