Wednesday, 10 August 2011

COSPLAY - SAINT OR SIN?

I have a little confession to make...

Last year I attended a Cosplay event - Edinburgh's much anticipated Auchinawa Convention. The convention comes once a year and people travel from all over Britain to attend the event. Myself and my friend Naomi went to Auchinawa in 2010 and stayed for the whole weekend. 
It was the strangest weekend I think I have ever experienced in my entire life.

Lets get one thing straight, Conventions are not my thing. Neither is Cosplay. My friend Naomi begged me to go and I knew I would feel a little out of my comfort zone, I did not know anyone else who was going to the event other than another girl from my High School called Eilidh, I did not know how serious the Cosplay scene is and I didn't know if my costume would receive a good reception. Fortunately, everyone loved my costume. I chose to dress up as Sailor Venus - from the Sailor Moon series.

Apologies - this is the only suitable photograph I could find of myself. I was terribly camera-shy that weekend. So unlike me, but I felt very mediocre compared to the other Cosplayers.

The REAL Sailor Venus - my costume was close enough.

If any of you are Sailor Moon fans, you can see that my costume is not accurate. I'm missing a tiara, red hair bow and although you can't see it in the photograph, I was wearing incorrect shoes. This quickly became a problem to me as all the other Cosplayers took their costume VERY seriously. Most costumes had been tailor-made by a Cosplay costume designer or had even been made by the Cosplayer themselves. It's safe to say that as a Fashion student, I quickly became very ashamed at my lack of effort. I ordered my Sailor Venus costume on Ebay from Japan, cut the length of my dress very unevenly as the skirt was huge, quickly hemmed  it and then complained to the seller as half of the accessories did not fit me. As for the wig, I borrowed it from a friend who wore it for a Lady Gaga themed party.

Despite my Cosplay faux pas, my costume received a very positive reaction. My character was pretty old skool and really recognisable. I played it very safe compared to some of the others.

My confession is that I am a bit of an anime geek. 

I chose to be Sailor Venus as I grew up watching Sailor Moon, it was my all time favourite TV show as a kid and I loved speeding home after school to watch it. To this day the best gift I've ever received - even above my Vivienne Westwood bag, is my complete Sailor Moon DVD collection. I mentioned to my boyfriend in passing that I always longed for it and he bought it for me last Christmas. He went to so much trouble getting them as many that are sold online are the wrong region.  They cost a bomb too as they are so vintage. 

I collected the Sailor Moon books as a kid and foolishly threw them away later - WHYYY?? I had the first volume which is now being sold on Amazon for $89... I assume this is because the books are discontinued and therefore collectible items now.

I found watching Sailor Moon as a child so romantic - I was in love with the characters and I always thought that the Sailor Scout's costumes were beautiful. 

The original Sailor Scouts

One of my favourite Sailor Moon costumes - Princess Serenity dress.

As you cannot see my makeup at all in the photo I provided, I've decided to recreate the Sailor Venus makeup I applied that day. I followed Michelle Phan's Youtube tutorial and amped it up a little. 






What I used to get the look. Mac Studio Fix Fluid foundation, Urban Decay "blond" eyebrow kit, High Beam by Benefit, Barry M liquid eyeliner, Loreal siver eyeshadow, Mac lipstick in "Frosted Bombshell".
On the day I also wore HUGE fake eyelashes to look more anime-like. 

Although Cosplaying is not my thing - I wouldn't readily attend another Cosplay convention any time soon, I think it is a really fun hobby and not to be taken too seriously, although I know too well that it can be pretty competitive!

A perfect example of competitive Cosplaying can be seen with world famous Cosplayer Yaya Han.

Cosplaying Christie from the video game Dead Or Alive

Ada Wong - Resident Evil

My favourite costume of hers - peacock design costume

That weekend I met some lovely and very extrovert people. I think Cosplaying is an excellent way to channel your love for your favourite cartoon characters and putting  artistic flair into practicality. I'd love to be able to design and create my own Cosplay costumes!

WOULD ANY OF YOU COSPLAY? WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE ANIME?? I also like Fruits Basket!


xoxo

P.S. Here is Michelle Phan's tutorial if you are interested...

15 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh i remember sailor moon! I love love your makeup wish your costume photo was more clear but it's looking awesome!!! What a great idea for me for Halloween. Your always so creative.

    http://redsolesandredwine.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makeup has got to be the coolest thing I've ever seen! It's art! Love it!

    -xx-
    http://lesbeauxetlesbelles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooo my dear :))
    you looked so lovely :* your costume is that same as she had :) and your make up? perfect!!

    I love Sailor Moon :) when we were playing with others, I was Amy :) I had a little computer :D I made it from piece of paper :D:D:D
    beautiful memories...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cosplay amazes and freaks me out a little in equal measure. I've always wanted to see what those conventions are like, but I am terrified I'd be outed as a fraud within seconds! Good on you for going though & I love your costume!

    The makeup is amazing also! And I too have a passion for anime! Its just so beautiful!

    Http://lapetiteplumes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you wear your Sailor Moon costume well! Don't even worry about it ;] I've never really been into anime but cosplaying does seem fun. It's like you get to embody your favorite character for a little while. . . kinda exciting.

    http://carrymel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are so cute! i want to go to one of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hehehe I used to be a sailormoon fan when I was a kid. I'm never a huge fan of cosplay though, been to just 1 event in my entire life, it wasn't as bad, but not my kinda thing I'd say....but I must say u did a great job in cosplaying!!

    xx
    Erika
    http://www.erika-t.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I think you look darling!! :))

    http://charitrinidad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Ashleigh,

    I found you via your thread/group on IFB! =D I love your blog - it's so cute an creative!

    I think your costume is absolutely adorable. Sailor Venus was one of my favorite Sailor Scouts, I used to watch this show all the time as a kid and had a HUGE crush on Price Darian! =P

    I'd love it if you could check out my blog sometime! =D

    http://sensiblestylista.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's amazing, i'd love to go to a cosplay event. my neighbour is a massive anime fan and he's always saying he wants to go. apparently it's all about making your own costume, which sounds amazing! you looked really cute though. x

    http://natallino.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. the eye make up looks amazing - very futuristic :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'VE NEVER HEARD OF SAILOR MOON BUT FROM WHAT I SAW IN THE PICTURE YOUR OUTFIT LOOKS SPOT ON! COOL EYE MAKEUP TOO!

    XOXO,
    HANNAH.

    http://hannahsfashionblogg.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! I love reading what you have to say.

Think before you type - please don't spoil my blog with unkind words. Share the love!