I'm having a very sad day today as my boyfriend went offshore this morning. He's not sure when he will be coming back, but by the time he does, I will be moved into my new house in Galashiels.
Just to clarify - I'm not moving house with my family or anything. Right now, I'm living in Aberdeen as it is my Summer break from University. Whilst I'm studying at University, I live in Galashiels - a town one hour away from Edinburgh quite literally in the midst of nowhere.
In first year of University, we were provided with Halls to live in. Now that I have become a second year student, I have to find my own accommodation. So, for second year, I'm living in a cute house just minutes away from the University with three of my friends - they are also Fashion students.
Our lovely house - photographed on a dull rainy day. Typical Galashiels.
Although I'm slowly beginning to warm to the prospect of moving back to Galashiels, I'll really miss being in Aberdeen amongst my friends, family and my boyfriend. I'll miss my cat Nina too as she's been a bit ill recently.
I'm nervous for what second year at University has in store. I hope that more of my strengths are exposed and my weaknesses don't drag me down too much. I'm trying desperately to have a positive outlook, despite not being an avid Galshiels fan. Although, one thing is for sure - I'm unbelievably excited for London Fashion Week, especially since my wardrobe has been revamped with gorgeous one-off-vintage pieces.
My most favourite pair of vintage shoes - where I walk, they walk.
The response to my LFW post has been amazing. I'm fuelled with confidence that I shall blend in with the coolest of cats in London. I loved searching for those perfect key items that would be Fashion Week worthy. I'll really miss rummaging through vintage stores every spare moment I have to myself. I've developed quite a bond with the store managers from some of the vintage stores I purchased pieces from, so it will be strange not popping past every couple of days to ask "anything new in?"
Collecting such wonderful vintage pieces has made me feel so lucky, I feel honoured to own some of the finds that I do! My eyes have been opened up to a whole new outlook towards what I think Fashion is. Since taking my vintage London Fashion Week challenge (find as many Designer-Vintage pieces as possible to look fierce for the big week), I've felt myself become such a vintage snob. I actually cannot imagine myself happily shopping in the likes of Topshop or Urban Outfitters comfortably any more knowing that there are so many undiscovered Vintage finds out there.
Maybe I should start a campaign? Lets all be original - FU*K THE HIGH STREET!
... But of course I'm still allowed to pop past a Vivienne Westwood store once or maybe even twice a year (if I'm lucky). Lets not take being a vintage-fiend too seriously.
Since I'm missing my boyfriend so much, in order to divert my mind away from him for a short while, I've began Lookbooking! I posted a couple of looks a while back but couldn't keep up with doing it constantly as I was too busy with Uni work.
Old granny blazer (floral print blazer with shoulder pads) - vintage (ROKIT Covent Garden)
Cut out Blondie tee - River Island
Cotton jean-style leggings - Topshop
Chancery bag - Vivienne Westwood
Skull resin necklace - Vivienne Westwood
Stone encrusted flats - vintage (ROKIT Covent Garden)
Shiny pearlescent shoulder padded coat - vintage (ROKIT Covent Garden)
Oversized mohair multicoloured cardigan - vintage Jaeger (The Closet)
I alternated between three styles of jacket/cardigan so I had a wider choice of which look to upload. In the end I chose the first one as I found it the most dynamic and would therefore get more "hype". And of course, all outfits must be teamed with the Vivienne Westwood bag and necklace. The purples, blues and blacks of the necklace went really well with the garments and I felt that the lilac Chancery bag enhanced the other purple tones I'm wearing. Lets face it, regardless to what I wear, 9 times out of 10 I'll team it with my Vivienne Westwood gear.
My favourite throw over out if the three (if you will), is definitely the mohair vintage Jaeger - one of my LFW key pieces.
I did not upload the image of me wearing this as I felt that I could achieve a stronger photograph and show off the cardigan better another time. I try to avoid posting anything on Lookbook that does not give the garment full justice.
Purchasing my first cardigan for Fall has made me so excited! I can't wait to seek out some more vintage knits to cosy up in.
I really enjoy Lookbook. I don't use it to seek inspiration on how to wear specific things like a lot of people do. I just like to upload outfits of my new clothes.
I can see it as being quite dangerous if taken too seriously - as much as I admire those who get professional photographs taken in stunning locations, it gets a bit over the top when you can barely recognise the garments as the images are being over flooded with so much scenery and strong editing.
I don't go to great lengths by getting my photo's professionally taken or anything (clearly - my boyfriend does it for me!) or spend hours editing them but its those kind of "looks" I like the most. Simple ones with a nice brick background or something. I believe the clothes should do the talking - not that nice stream you've photographed yourself standing next to.
I understand why some peoples soul purpose is to get inspiration or learn how a certain garment/pair of shoes should be worn but for me that's the fun thing with purchasing a new garment or a pair of shoes - learn yourself how it should look. Don't copy other peoples style!
I also like using Lookbook to advertise my blog. I could do with some new followers!
I find that Lookbook is helping me take my mind off of having to deal with reality - going back to University after a long Summer and having to say goodbye to my boyfriend for a few weeks.
Do any of you guys use Lookbook.nu for Fashion inspiration or to upload pictures?
xoxo









Discovered your blog through IFB! :) You've got such a unique, stunning style, and I'm in love with your hair! My favorite piece of yours would be shiny vintage coat, so adorable! And that's interesting, I've always preferred to shop in stores like Urban Outfitters [no Topshop where I live, tragically.... ='(] or H&M, but I feel so "safe" always buying my clothes there, but your vintage pieces are so unique! Maybe I will try a hand at thrifting or heading to a vintage store, I'm always up to find cute new pieces! :) I'm your newest follower, hope to see more of your posts! ^_^ Have fun at London Fashion Week!!
ReplyDeletexoooxo
http://runawayinla.blogspot.com
PS. I always hear so much good raves about Nandos... but being an American, I'm dying to try it haha! :)
Hi Ashleigh!!!!!
ReplyDeleteAnother fierce post- LOVE it!!!!
You have a fabulous sense of style- I adore your vintage pieces!!!!
That colorful Jaeger cardigan is amazing!!! I love your Vivienne Westwood handbag & jewelry too!!!!
I just ordered a vintage black leather jacket from Spanish Moss. It has black fringe and the details are incredible. It should be delivered Tuesday.
I love your blog & your outfit posts!!!!
Hope you have a great weekend!!!! :-)
Shannon
http://fashiondiarylooks4.blogspot.com
Your picture are pretty...God Bless you sweetie..!! :D
ReplyDeleteSakuranko Blog
My Facebook Page Fan
Congrats on your new place! I had to find new apartment and to move to another city because of University as well. And yey you're a fashion student, too. Exciting!
ReplyDeletehappy nice days as a second year student. you are closer to your dreams.happy nice days as a second year student. you are closer to your dreams.
ReplyDeleteyou should have been the first line promoter of Vivienne Westwood. You are so HER :} her style, her air and everything!
ReplyDeleteThis first photo is super! I like very much your outfits, and these pictures:)
ReplyDeleterocking retro shoes! And both those jackets are rad! What finds :)
ReplyDeletewaituntilthesunset.blogspot.com
I love your 'OLD GRANNY BLAZER', it's super cute!
ReplyDeleteI have also recently started using lookbook! I don't upload personal style pics that often because I am so busy with school, but I am hoping to in the near future!
Great post.
xoxo,
hannah.
http://hannahsfashionblogg.blogspot.com/
I think I read every post you do but haven't commented before! Your blog is great - you have a really good way with words (unlike myself ha!) and I love your shiny coat. You are going to look brill in London and I'm very jealous of all your Vivienne Westwood goodies.
ReplyDeletexx