Allure magazine criticized the show in its October 2006 issue, saying that ANTM "hasn't exactly produced any actual supermodels."
- Criticism sourced from Wikipedia, America's Next Top Model.
I have been a devoted and loyal fan to "America's Next Top Model" since its debut in early 2000. As a young girl, I was truly facinated with not only the Fashion industry itself, but the rules and regulations surrounding the up and coming model. Through watching the show for a number of years, I had learned the foundations of the Fashion Industry in regards to modelling. ANTM then inspired me in my early teen's to seek further knowledge of the Fashion World outwith my basic modelling knowledge. Although this may seem bizarre and somewhat chiche, some might say that ANTM inspired my interest in Fashion in the first place.
It is through my watching of ANTM, that my boyfriend is able to gain a somewhat general understanding of the Fashion Industry, without it becoming too complex. For example, James might say, "Diane von Furstenberg, you like her latest collection don't you?" or, "She's not quirky enough, she's not editorial", etc...
Through watching the show, I have gained appreciation for a number of contestants. It is evident as the seasons progress, I have developed my favourites from the early contestants such as Brittany who were "funny", to Anya who is "Couture, bankable, who I would look for if I were a casting director".
Toccara Jones, Season 3
Amanda Swafford, Season 3
Britanny Brower, Season 4.
Kim Stolz, Season 5.
Anya Kop, Season 10
Alison Harvard And Celia Ammerman, Season 12
Raina Hein, Season 14
Kayla Ferell, Season 15
Although these girls are my personal favourites, I have to admit that I have no idea where the contestants from ANTM go next after being eliminated. Even the winners seem to become just mere faces in the crowd of the Fashion World once they have had their moment of glory on the cover of "Seventeen Magazine".
This is why I believe Cycle 15 of ANTM has raised it's game. Forget "Seventeen Magazine" and Wilhelmina Modelling Management. Instead, the winner now receives the notorious Covergirl Cosmetics contract, a place in the renowned modelling agency IMG Models, and a cover of Vogue Italia. These prizes are a dream come true to any up and coming model, and even through only watching a couple of episodes from this latest season, it is clear that Tyra Banks is being meticulously particular about who wins.
Don't get me wrong, I am not ashamed to admit I am a major fan of ANTM, however I do find it somewhat comical that as the years have progressed, the "prizes" and the quality of the winners careers has gone noticeably downhill.
I hope that after season 15, ANTM's reputation gains more respect and is taken more seriously by the fashion industry, as it is clear that they obviously don't think that the winners of this show are worth batting an eyelash over, or all of the winners would be millionaires. I don't expect the show to produce supermodels to the degree of Naomi or Linda Evangelista, but the title "AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL" implies that the model who wins will surely become world renowned?
Although, apparently contestants that did not win have done relatively well for themselves, such as Fatima Siad.
Even as a dedicated fan of the series, it is clear that even I am sceptical of the career paths of the ANTM girls, so what must the critics think?
xoxo
P.S. I still adore Tyra Banks no matter what. I would hate to seem hypocritical as she is one of my favourite past models and one of my icons. This does not excuse me from writing this blog however as I am merely criticising the producers of the show due to the declining quality of prizes for the winning contestant the past couple of years. I am in no way, criticising the host, Tyra Banks... Love you Ty!










No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave comments! I love reading what you have to say.
Think before you type - please don't spoil my blog with unkind words. Share the love!