Monday, 8 August 2011

1960's VINTAGE

Mini skirts, mismatched patterns, paisley, tie dye, bell bottoms, PVC, sequins, beehives, geometric hair cuts, false eyelashes, Brigitte Bardot, Vidal Sassoon, Twiggy, The MODS and Rockers... Ever feel like your were born in the wrong era?

I hate to be terribly cliché, but since purchasing my 1960's gingham vintage dress, I've felt compelled to write a post about my admiration for the 60's.


I wish women were as risqué today. I find it really sad that many women opt for a disposable approach to fashion - buying cheap pieces in bulk for them to only be worn away in a few months time.

This is why I love vintage. I love putting on a retro garment and embracing the mystery behind it. I wonder how the piece has kept in such wonderful condition for so many years - was it worn only a couple of times then locked away in an illicit wardrobe somewhere in an old woman's house? 

The quality of the material behind vintage clothing and accessories never ceases to fascinate me. The fabric always seems to feel so genuine and barely worn in, however the missing and/or loose buttons tell a different story.

I always ask myself "who did this garment belong to?" as I'm twirling in front of the mirror in a vintage store's changing room. What kind of person wore this dress? Was she into Fashion, like me?

I also love the SMELL of vintage pieces. I can't really describe that signature pungent smell that is embedded within any piece of vintage - dresses, shoes, bags - even jewellery! A sort of musky powdery smell that I adore.

My favourite vintage stores are "Rokit" (the Covent Garden shop is best) and now Aberdeen's "The Closet".

Here are some of my favourite 1960's pieces I found on the Rokit website. 

Wrap over effect orange mini dress

Green and blue floral day dress

Blue and green bathing suit

Tan suede fringed Pioneer jacket 

Fashion recycles itself. I think that designers will always flock to the 60's for fashion inspiration.  

WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE VINTAGE PIECE YOU OWN? WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR WHEN YOU GO VINTAGE SHOPPING? I tend to flock to dresses and handbags.

Here's a few of my latest vintage buys

1960's belted gingham dress - will upload pictures of me wearing this later.

Sheer body and Jaeger high waisted flared shorts


1950's red hat and little black boots!

Black leather briefcase 

xoxo



14 comments:

  1. I am loving your vintage buys, and I really think vintage pieces are priceless!

    So much better than the mass-produced clothes of our times. :)


    xoxo,
    Addie
    The Cat Hag
    Join My Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate this post! Hey, it's a cliche for a reason... the 60s were awesome for fashion!

    Julia
    Cup of Tea
    http://cupoftea-style.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving that tea dress! I just picked up something like it ASOS actually. 60's fashions were rockin...siiigghhhh

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I hear 1960's, I think 'Mad Men' ;)
    Love your vintage pieces!

    Thank you for your lovely comment, dear!

    Loves,
    Rowan

    www.redreidinghood.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I didin't know much about vintage until I read ur post!!! Awesome post :) thx for posting

    xx
    Erika
    http://www.erika-t.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely as always, I'm such a big vintage fan! x

    http://natallino.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww I also love vintage clothing and what I normally look for would be texture, print and unique cut. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that green dress, it's really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vintage clothes are so cute, and love your blog post on them. The briefcase is lovely.

    Charlee
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah! I'm salivating over that orange wrap mini dress. So precious! I've always admired vintage pieces from afar but have never had the opportunity to purchase anything of my own, really (I don't live in an area with many vintage stores)! :( I do love the jewelry my grandmother gave me, and I vow that one day I will own the beautiful 1950s party dress of my dreams! :)

    Best,
    Danielle
    http://loveandlookpretty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love vintage stuff. My prom dress (i wore it for like 4 years in a row) was a 1920s night gown that was vintage robins egg blue with the most intricate detailing. I love that dress and always bemoan the fact that I don't have more opportunities to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to admit I don't personally go for vintage but I love the '60s style and so glad it's back good and proper for Winter 2011!

    The idea that each vintage piece tells a story is lovely though; I have a weakness for antique jewellery for that reason!

    Fi xx
    http://thefashionsilverlining.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I TOTALLY agree! Vintage gowns last so much longer and are so much more sexy and classy - because it doesn't actually look like trash! I miss how women would take immeasurable pride in their clothes and looked after them!

    Tikkitiboo + Ahka Vintage
    Enter our $200 Giveaway Here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The 60s was the most stylish time period. Oh and I love that vintage smell too! It's like the smell of an old book.

    FILM MUSIC ART blog

    P.S. Thanks for the comment on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! I love reading what you have to say.

Think before you type - please don't spoil my blog with unkind words. Share the love!