Saturday, 2 July 2011

British Fashion Designers

Today has been a good day!

I went shopping with my mum in the morning and then decided to relax in my back garden for a while.




For those of you who do not know, I live in Aberdeen. In Aberdeen, sun is a very rare thing so I ceased the opportunity to make the most of it while it was there. I took some photo's in the garden and read "British Fashion Designers" by Hywel Davies. I have had this book in my possession for about a year now and little did I know when I met Hywel Davies (he came to my University and spoke to the Fashion students), that I actually had one of his books. At the time of purchase, I did not take time to appreciate the authors name. Had I know Hywel wrote this book, I would have went in to the lecture with him in a different frame of mind all together.

The book is beautiful with stunning imagery throughout. It also provides an intimate look into how some of Britain's notorious Designers perceive British Fashion.

Through reading the book, one Designer really interested me - Cassette Playa.

"Designed by Carri Mundane Cassette Playa is renowned for its kaleidoscopic casual uniform that has been appropriated by London's club kids. Inspired by real and virtual worlds, Mundane has an energetic vision that is inherently graphic and modern" - Hywel Davies*



*

*

The garments are OUT OF THIS WORLD insaaaaaaaaane! They seem to have a 90's rave mood but with a modern and contemporary feel...Why had I not heard of Cassette Playa before??






The prints, colours and graphics are beautiful. I could get lost in the mesmerising patterns. There is something so "Tokyo-esque" about Mundane's clothes, I could see her designs being worn as street fashion there.

There is such a fierce attitude that exudes from the clothing. I think that is because I associate the clothes with a Kanye West hip hop vibe.

 "She says 'I draw really heavily from ancient hunting rituals, but my collection was also inspired by Eighties and Nineties skate culture...I wanted to bring that ancient Shamanic vibe to the city today.' Aztec art was cited as inspiring her use of orange in early lines. She describes some of her designs as 'quite cartoon' but that she has 'no intention of making people look funny'. Designing wear for men, she feels her designs make male wearers more 'masculinated', stating 'You have to be hard to carry it off.' Interested in video games, her most recent line references YouTube, text messaging and circuit bending, propelled by her desire to create a matrix with wearers 'stepping into the gaming world with no way to get back out.'"

I think her designs are so avant garde and bold. I'm definitely going to keep a close eye on her in the future.



I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend so far! My sincerest apologies to some of the people I follow - every night I check all of the pages I am following and write comments to the majority of them. I think that it is important to keep the communication flowing and I love seeing what you have all been up to. My boyfriend is also offshore at the moment (he works in the oil industry) so I've had extra spare time on my hands recently. Therefore, I pretty much see my blog as my full time job!

I will check out everyone's pages tomorrow and leave comments, right now I'm going to bed! (I will hopefully get round to watching "The Cat Returns" tonight).


Meow meow, soooo cute! Excited to blog about this... I wish little cats would whisk me off in a wooden chariot...

Thank you for helping me reach 50+ followers! I'm so grateful!

xoxo

**Quote and images fully credited to Hywel Davies - "British Fashion Designers"**

4 comments:

  1. Love the glasses! :)


    have a nice day ^^
    Nora

    http://noraliaayu.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the book and your sunnies!

    Loves,
    Rowan

    www.redreidinghood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sunglasses are gorgeous! They remind me of Alexa Chung :).

    Thanks for your comment and for following, I've followed back!

    Sophie.
    www.coc0nuts.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is now on my must read list! Great Post! BTW thanks for the comment and follow me. I am following back!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! I love reading what you have to say.

Think before you type - please don't spoil my blog with unkind words. Share the love!