Hello!
Please accept my apologies that I had no time to blog last weekend. I've been really busy with my Fashion Communication project.
I went home to Aberdeen this weekend to photograph a few of my dads flats. He is a landlord and has quite a cosmopolitan mix of property scattered around my home town of Aberdeen so I had a few flats to choose from.
I've been photographing my dads flats as for our Fashion Communication project, we have to choose song lyrics and then devise a photoshoot around the inspiration and mood the lyrics provide.
My lyrics are '10.30 in this hotel room, you and I locked in the gloom'.
The story behind my photoshoot is that an upper class woman has been thrown out of her appartment in the middle of the night by her boyfriend. Devastated, cold and penniless, she has to find somewhere to sleep for the night. She comes across a run down ex hotel and has no choice but to find shelter there. The photoshoot should have a 1950's feel. This will be achieved through costume and styling.
The photoshoot has to be in the style of i-D magazine. This gives us a broad horizon and almost limitless potential for the photoshoot considering i-D's style and readership is so diverse.
After taking pictures of my dads more stylised and glamorous flats, I decided that the photoshoot I had in mind would not work in context with the surroundings. I much preferred the derelict, shabby and run down location illustrated above.
Here is another of my dad's flats - more 'live-able' (shall we say?)...
Believe it or not, it used to look exactly like the run down flat. Both of these flats are sisters and are located right next to one another and are identical in size and layout... Except one is shabby and the other is beautiful.
Doing this photoshoot at the weekend was not only inspiring and allowed me to spawn many ideas for my photoshoot, but it also made me feel really proud of how hard my dad works to renovate his flats. I really admire how he transform such run down houses into something special.
For the photoshoot, I have casted a local model from Aberdeen called Samantha. I first saw her at a runway show for my friend Laura and I knew I had to have her. I just think she's so Vivienne Westwood-esque/Jessica Rabbit like.
I took some pictures of her fresh faced, with 'natural' makeup and with a full face of makeup to show the contrast.
I originally had a plan to use my boyfriend too, but he will be offshore the weekend I've scheduled the photoshoot for.
I'm hoping to borrow some vintage garments to shoot Samantha in. If I'm successful, I'll show you some costume ideas I have in mind this weekend.
Thank you again to everyone who has voted for me to win the Cosmopolitan Blog Award. I've still not managed get the badge on my blog yet so its easier for you to all vote for me, but here is the link again for those of you who are generous enough to vote.
Just enter your email address, hit 'Student Blog' and then my blog name (Ashleigh Duncan).
Thank you so much, sorry again that I've not got more time on my hands to blog. I usually blog every single day, sometimes even twice, but I'm over my head in work at the moment. I hope this doesn't hurt my chances in winning!
xoxo

Cool concept!!!
ReplyDeletelove the tatty look of the old building really inetersting to shoot in. You can see the transformation when you layer up the make up it looks really effective :)
ReplyDeletecool photos :)
ReplyDeleteLooks like your photoshoot will be pretty cool! I hope you post photos of the finished product! :)
ReplyDeleteJulia
Cup of Tea
http://cupoftea-style.blogspot.com