Saturday, 22 October 2011

LOVE AND LIFE I WILL DIVIDE

"I saw you screaming and no one can hear. You almost feel ashamed that someone could be that important that without them, you feel like nothing. No one will ever understand how much it hurts. You feel hopeless, like nothing can save you. Then when it's over, and it's gone, you almost wish you could have all that bad stuff back, so that you could have the good."

I would not have batted an eyelash at the thought of watching a Rihanna video, but the minute I read on Twitter that my fashion icon Aggyness Deyn was the narrator for the 'story' behind the 'We Found Love' video for Rihanna ft Calvin Harris, of course my curiosity got the better of me.


Absolutely in love with Rihanna's latest music video.

I heard this song about a month before the music video was released. I'm not even a big Rihanna fan, but I just think this music video is amazing. Love the styling, the location and the cinematography. I'd go as far to say that this is one of my favourite music video's of all time.

The video begins soft and subtle, telling the story of a young couple. Heavy drug references soon come in to play and the scenes become shorter and sharper creating a sense of breathlessness. I think it may have blown my mind...

Apparently set in Dublin where the Chris Brown-esque male model (Dudley O'Shaughnessy) is from, the music video has such a Train Spotting/This Is England '86 vibe. The drug references are overt yet so beautiful. I especially love the multi coloured cigarette ash and when Rihanna spews candy-pink coloured ribbon. 



I'm so in love with the styling behind Rihanna's looks in this video. My flatmate and I were commenting on how 80's the looks are. I really liked her double denim Jeremy Scott ensemble.


Its debatable how likely it was if casting Dudley O'Shaughnessy as a Chris Brown lookalike was intentional, but no one can argue the irony of the song. Rihanna and O'Shaughnessy play a love sick couple, not only addicted to one another, but gambling and substance abuse also. Directed by Melina Matsoukas who worked with Rihanna on  'Rudeboy' and 'S&M' has done such a beautiful job with the fast paced editing of the music video. The nostalgia created through the smokey pastel tones juxtaposed with the vivid casino/gambling scenes together are a complete mind fuck, but so beautiful. The English references are so refreshing, with the narration by my Aggy at the beginning to the scene where Rihanna is dancing on a table top in a traditional 'fish n' chip' shop. The music video really communicates a story, unlike some of Rihanna's previous videos where it seems to be more tits and ass than anything else. On the contrary however, she did agree to pose topless for this video... which is tastefully done.

See?

I'm not a great Rihanna fan, but love her music and tend to avoid her music videos as they're pretty much soft porn with no clear narrative structure. I'm all for smut when its done in a clever sleazy way, but I do get a bit bored of Rihanna's usual style. I'm really taken back by this video however. 

One scene was almost hard to watch and I felt a little uncomfortable but intrigued at the same time.

After Rihanna previously spells out 'YOURS' with a sparkler, her partner reacts by viciously stabbing 'MINE' into her butt cheek as she struggles to free his forceful grasp. This is then followed by repetitive spanking and abuse. 

It sounds comical reading this back, but the music video really is quite harrowing. Prior to watching the music video, I found the song rather uplifting and casual but I now feel like a totally new light has been shone on the lyrics.

It could be the MOD 80's styling. It could be the fact that Aggyness Deyn had something to do with the creation of this music video, or it could be the hot male model, regardless - I'm so in love with this music video.

xoxo



6 comments:

  1. quite like this song i thought the actor was that guy from coach carter but then realised it wasn't:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. did u know you've been shortlisted for a cosmo blog award!!! check it out at their website

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very surprise I like this song. Like you I am not a huge fan of Rihanna but this video and song resonates with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post!!! I watched the video with my roommate and we both did a double take. I too like Rihanna's music but not a big fan of her videos, but this was just amazing. We felt like this was a mini movie. Also, thanks for the info of who the speaker was at the beginning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very creative post! i always enjoy your updates!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! I love reading what you have to say.

Think before you type - please don't spoil my blog with unkind words. Share the love!