Hi all,
I'm sincerely sorry for the lack of blog posts recently. University work has been simply mad the past month or so. After the success of my "10.30 in this hotel room" (Fashion Photography) photoshoot, myself and the other Fashion Communication students dived straight into our 'Still Life' project.
'Still Life' is essentially the photographing of accessories. Firstly, our lecturer asked us to find four objects that reflect the style of four photographers and do some studio shots (placing the objects onto a solid white background). This was to enable us to experiment with lighting and composition.
All accessories I chose belong to Aberdeen's vintage store 'The Closet'.
The four photographers I chose were Nan Goldin, Martin Parr, Pierre Et Gilles and Anton Corbijn.
NAN GOLDIN
From Goldin's photographs I pulled out a dominatrix/fetish theme. I feel that I picked accessories that emphasized this mood.
1.Black dominatrix lace up leather boots.
2. Silver dog collar
3. Fetish red/black veiled hat with feather
4. Horned alligator clutch bag
MARTIN PARR
Looking at Parr's work, although it can be noted that he photographs an abundance of sea locations, I was more fascinated by the sweet treats he shoots. I especially loved the colour of that baby pink frosting, this inspired the selection of pink accessories I chose. Tacky but so cute!
1. Vintage black/hot pink GINA shoes
2. Pink plastic powder container
3. Silver clasp chain bag
5. Plastic diamonte silver necklace
ANTON CORBIJN
I was already a huge fan of Anton Corbijn as I love his photography for G-Star. When I think of his work I instantly think of his use of black and grey. The photographs are so sleek yet have a grungy rough n' ready edge. I photographed male and female black and white garments that are tailored, sharp but are worn in. For example - the expensive white leather gloves that are covered in dirty marks and are badly scratched.
1. Black suede GINA shoes
2. Genuine Victorian mens top hat.
3. Black mesh box clutch
4. White leather gloves
PIERRE ET GILLES
Although the religious connotations are prominent in Pierre Et Gilles work, I decided to chose accessories that were OTT, camp and glamorous. I found choosing accessories for Pierre Et Gilles the easiest and most straight forward as their style cannot be interpreted in as many ways as the other photographers... In my opinion.
1. Hot pink feathered fan
2. Mink tail boa
3. Retro perfume bottle
4. Small silver sequin embellished handbag
Our lecturer then asked us to take some photographs of spontaneous 'Still Lives' from around our houses. This meant that we had to photograph juxtaposing objects lying around our houses and we were not allowed to set any 'still life scenes' up - they all had to be organic.
I took photographs around my boyfriends house as I found many quirky settings. The photographs did not have to be of accessories, just compositions of various objects lying about.
Finally, we then had to photograph four new individual accessories in different locations that reflect the style of four different photographers. I chose the same photographers as I did for the studio shots but I swapped out Pierre Et Gilles for Richard Billingham.
For each photographer, I photographed my Philip Treacy hat, a pair of false eyelashes, my Prada perfume and my Vivienne Westwood skull necklace.
All photographs were taken on the street or indoors such as The Closet vintage shop and my local Indigo Sun tanning salon.
MARTIN PARR
RICHARD BILLINGHAM
NAN GOLDIN
ANTON CORBIJN (I HAVE NOT PHOTOGRAPHED EYELASHES YET)
University work aside, did any of you manage to get any H&M Versace pieces? I got a pair of Hawaiian print leggings. I was so delighted considering I refreshed the web page for three hours straight before finally cracking into the website! I can't wait for them to arrive. I will definitely write a blog post regarding them!
Please stop by my blog regularly within the next couple of weeks. I have just finished shooting my first Fashion film and cannot wait to finish the editing process so I can publish it to my blog.
xoxo
























i am a new fashion blogger from indonesia living in singapore :) i really like your blog. i will really appreciate & it will be an honor to have u as my blog member (blog follower)
ReplyDeleteand of course i will folback!:D also, u can mention me anytime on twitter @tiodang if you want me to check out your latest post & leave a comment ^^ ,please list me on twitter, so i will know u're my follower!! ;)
i've just recommend your post to google!u can check it! that's what u got if you keep in touch with my blog too!! hope u will do the same ^^
(u can add me on facebook and contact me at : cheeringwinda@yahoo.com)
That is a great project you guys did. I think my fave is the same item taken in different styles of the photogs that you chose. Awesome job!
ReplyDelete