Wednesday, 29 June 2011

It isn't hell if everybody knows my name


I'M ON THE EDGE OF GLORY.

I constantly find myself blogging about Lady Gaga. I think she is not only one of the most influential women in the music industry, but a Fashion icon across the world. I have not come across a singer with such power to change the industry and bend all of the rules - certainly not in my generation anyway.



The "Edge Of Glory" music video left me feeling slightly dumbstruck when I first watched it. Dare I say, I almost felt a sense of anxiety for Gaga as this I found this music video quite subdued and safe in comparison to the likes of "Born This Way" - a Nick Knight VS Gaga infused orgasm and who could forget the controversial Madonna-esque "JUDAS" music video? I suppose that if you compare these two music videos in particular to "The Edge Of Glory", of course, her latest music video isn't quite as exciting, shall we say?

But then it hit me.

Lady Gaga is a musical genius. I believe that every choice she makes and word that comes from her mouth is carefully executed. I watched the video back again and tried to absorb the finer details. It was then, that the beauty of the clothes she wears in this video communicated to me in a way that I thought was pure genius.



As Gaga struts along a New York street with dry ice following her, you can't help but admire the clothing that pops against the dreamy backdrop. She appears almost Amazonian with that studded leather corset - one of Gianni Versace's vintage archive pieces.



Supposedly, this is the first time Versace has opened their archive for a music video. Gaga should feel honoured.

Donatella Versace had this to say about "The Edge Of Glory",

'I am greatly honored that Lady Gaga chose to wear a Versace Vintage look throughout her “Edge of Glory” video,’ Donatella said in a release. ‘I am a great fan of hers and I believe that my brother Gianni would have appreciated her talent. Like him, Lady Gaga is unafraid to push boundaries and she has created an original vocabulary by merging fashion, music, theatre and art. For me, this video represents a wonderful tribute to anyone who is unafraid to take chances.’

I think that this is such a beautiful quote from Donatella, who is obviously a Gaga fan.

In retrospective, I feel foolish to have once believed that this video was not exciting. I feel as though I am being sucked into the expectancy that surrounds Gaga - everything always must be over the top. She proved me wrong in this video and if it was even possible, I've gained more admiration for her as she has made such a bold and beautiful fashion statement in this video.



The clothing is so strong and dominating, I like how this contrasts with the soft melody Gaga has produced. The lyrics - as always, give hope to fans. I feel that the lyrics combined with the Versace vintage is so perfect...

xoxo

P.S. *Warning* more Gaga posts coming soon, I can't stop talking about this lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments! I love reading what you have to say.

Think before you type - please don't spoil my blog with unkind words. Share the love!