Monday, 30 January 2012

TODAY I TURNED 20 + ISABELLA BLOW

Hello everyone, 

My blog post title pretty much sums up everything I aim to write about today.

Can I just start off by saying that I am so sorry I have not had time to write blog posts daily any more. I am just far too busy with University work, having a long distance relationship and maintaining my well being. 

I've been trying to keep this blog quite formal with employers viewing it and what not, but since it is my birthday, I shall mix work and play on this occasion! 

I've started 2012 with a bang. I've been going to the gym loads after yoyo-dieting for as long as I can remember so I'm feeling really fit and healthy at the moment. I have also been lucky enough to land another Fashion internship in London! I'm working in the Designer Sophie Hulme's PR department.



Examples of Sophie Hulme's work

I am really, really excited for going down to London. I fly out this Thursday (the 2nd) from Aberdeen to Heathrow. Unfortunately, my boyfriend is not accompanying me until later so I will be travelling all on my lonesome. I'm sure I am more than capable of managing this however, since I coped two months in London last year working for Philip Treacy. I am only in London for two and a half weeks with Sophie Hulme. I believe I am working with her in her studio in Islingston and I am accompanying her to her first London Fashion Week show on the 20th... Words cannot quite describe my excitement! 

To prepare myself for London, I thought it was only fair to get my hurr (hair) done. I got my hair bleached, toned and then finally got some extensions in to even out the length. It was a complete birds nest before I got it done yesterday, so I am really relieved to have it all one length and beautiful looking. I got some little feather extensions added underneath my fringe too, just because I thought they were cool, unusual and VERY me. 


I took both of these photographs on Instagram. My boyfriend recently gave me his old iPhone so I really enjoy using this app. 

My hair was a birthday present to myself. From my parents I got lots of money for taking to London, this is perfect because I really need some new clothes. I will certainly be visiting my regular spots in London as soon as I get a day off - Rokit, Beyond Retro and Topshop Oxford Street. My boyfriend also purchased me a Vivienne Westwood jacket and a vintage Burberry mac - photographs to come asap, I promise.

For my birthday, I had a really chilled out weekend. This entailed sushi, cinema and Nando's. I cannot walk properly since pulling muscles in both of my legs so again, this was perfect. Note to all of you thinking of taking a 'Body Bootcamp' fitness class at the gym - don't. 

With regards to University work, this semester I am studying CCS (Contemporary and Contextual Studies), Promotion and Advertising, Digital Application and Typography and Graphics. 

For Typography and Graphics, everyone has been given an 'Icon' to research. Mine is Isabella Blow. 


I was completely thrilled with being given Isabella Blow to research. I have quite a lot of prior knowledge of Blow since working with Philip Treacy. I think she is fabulous. 

For Typography and Graphics, we have to pull a direction/theme from our 'Icon'. When I think of Isabella Blow, I always think of her as a bird. I bird that preys on young talent and also a mother figure to those who she takes under her wing. Her love of pheasants was appealing to me. I found it fascinating how she was actually buried in her favourite Philip Treacy hat - 'The Pheasant'. This possessed me to research birds/feathers/pheasants further. Thus, my direction was quickly established - birds.

I began by photographing a dead pheasant to include in my research books. I wanted to capture images of the birds vibrant feathers to reflect Izzy's bold, colourful and vivacious dress sense and some of only the birds talons to reflect a harrowing and monster-like feel. 







I will hopefully be able to create one of these images into a graphic eventually. This will accompany my Typography and Graphics work. 

***

That is a very, very brief catch up on what I have been doing recently. There is so much more to tell but I don't want to document it all into one blog post. 

I very much doubt I will have time to write another blog post before I go to London on Thursday, so in the mean time, wish me a safe flight! I PROMISE I will blog once I have arrived in London. Obviously, I won't be able to document my entire Sophie Hulme journey as I prefer to keep a lot of that private, but I really look forward to sharing my overall experience with you all. I predict a few personal style blog posts since I will be purchasing so much clothes when I am down there, some street style images and possibly some cool shit that I don't want to confirm yet. 

I actually can't wait to go vintage shopping! If anyone has any bits and pieces they recommend me trying to sift out of the vintage shops, all suggestions are welcome. I really need to examine the gaps in my wardrobe at the moment to see what clothes I need. Long skirts spring to mind...

I'M EXCITED! I'm trying to contain myself however. What with me being a woman and all now...

xoxo

P.S. Exciting things to come - the possibility of styling a male model for a photoshoot (not until March though), launching an online E-Magazine and also the revisiting of Philip Treacy's studio.


1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday! I love the new 'do too! It's nice to see you back in the blogging world, even if it is just for a short while! :)

    Julia
    Cup of Tea
    http://cupoftea-style.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! I love reading what you have to say.

Think before you type - please don't spoil my blog with unkind words. Share the love!