Thursday, 11 November 2010

My First Blog

Hello,

This is my first blog, I thought it was about time I actually wrote something on here considering I have had a few busy and blog-worthy past weeks. However, first of all I suppose it is only polite to introduce myself to those who don't know me.

Basic Information - My name is Ashleigh Kate Duncan. I am originally from Aberdeen and I am currently living in Galashiels Student Halls Of Residence. I attended Hazlehead Academy for six years before moving out for University. I was a primarily Drama and Art based student and I originally intended to enter the acting world before I realised my creativity and interest in Fashion. I am now studying a new course at Heriot Watt SBC called Fashion Communication. I am quite excited about this as I will be one of the first graduates of this new module! (:

Personal Information - I never thought I'd miss Aberdeen but secretly I do. The truth is, there's not much to do in Galashiels... At all. But, I love all the girls (and guys) I've met so far whilst being in Gala. It makes being here that little bit more cope able. I miss my cats - Timmy and Nina LOTS. I am a big animal person and I seem to have naturally taken a particular shine to fox's, snails, moths but cats are my all time favourite. Finally, I love music, and I am known for writing "xoxo" at the end of texts, letters and blogs. The link between myself and Gossip Girl is purely coincidental.

Now that I've introduced myself, I think its appropriate for me to post information on what I've been doing at University so far...

I began the course doing Contemporary Contextual Studies (CCS) on a Monday, Photoshop/Illustrator classes (CAD) on a Wednesday, and Fashion Marketing on Tuesday and Thursday. I am now no longer studying Fashion Marketing due to our timetable change, but Fashion Womenswear instead. I am enjoying all of my classes for different reasons. I enjoy CCS as it provides us as Students with the knowledge we need to enter the Fashion world, CAD is interesting as I am exploring new techniques using Photoshop - I didn't experiment with this while I was at school so I enjoy learning new skills!
Fashion Womenswear is probably my favourite. We are currently doing Fashion Illustration on a Thursday morning and Designing on a Thursday afternoon/Friday. I love the drawing classes and I have always wanted to learn how to create Fashion illustrations. Although the design classes were stressful at first, I have now got a grip on what we are doing and I finished my first accomplished piece today! (:

We were asked to create a top garment based on the Surrealist Exhibition myself and the other students attended in Edinburgh a number of weeks ago. We were asked to purchase 3 men's shirts to be experimented on. My first shirt was certainly experimental. It seemed to be a matron's twist on a costume from the Anime series, "Sailor Moon". As much as I adore Sailor Moon, the dress did not look high fashion, nor did it look surreal. It was cutesy, but this appeal soon wore off when I attempted to move the pinned garment from the mannequin and it fell to pieces in my hands. I quickly learned that my new design would have to be far simpler. Less is definitely more. I worked hard on creating something edgy yet simple and I managed to create a dress that is inspired by a postcard I bought at the Exhibition of a 1950's pop art poster. I finally managed to finish it today with time to spare. I have to nip and tuck a couple more features, but its there! I feel proud of my creation, and I can't wait to send it down the cat walk tomorrow.

I will be sure to post pictures of my fashion illustrations at the weekend, as unfortunately for me, I am practically the only one here this weekend! :( I will also post photographs of my final design and I will attempt to show the video clip of the Fashion Show too.

Very excited for tomorrow, I can't wait to see every ones garments and hear the music that's been decided upon. I've heard rumours that its something Techno. I'm hoping its Crystal Castles!

I have rambled on a little too long for my liking, but that is a general catch up on what I've been doing. (Not including the gossip, scandals and bad bits of course!)

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments! I love reading what you have to say.

Think before you type - please don't spoil my blog with unkind words. Share the love!